• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel agresssion, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Cricket, my male cockatiel is caged with my female cockatiel, Snickers in a large flight cage in the birdroom. They have plenty of toys and I just rearranged their perches, toys in their cage. They have a very varied diet too. Snickers and Cricket are bonded and they hatched Cookie and Pumpkin in 2009. Cricket has always been a little bossy but I think he's getting agressive with Snickers.

He's follows her wherever she goes and beaks her on her back, and chases her all over the room. At first I thought they were doing that because they were bonded (that's what my other tiel pair does, follow each other and sorta lightly nip). But I don't think they're doing that.. I let all the cockatiels out together earlier today and Snickers flew then Cricket flew, and he was angry and being mean to Snickers. I put Cricket in his cage and left the others out, (I didn't want Snickers getting hurt).

I'm not sure what to do anymore about Cricket.. they're bonded and preen each other etc, but Cricket picks on Snickers and nips at her, flies after her etc.. what can I do about this? Cricket is even nippy when they're in their cage too.. :confused: I don't want to separate them because they're bonded. I'm thinking maybe it's hormones?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm sorry this is happening :( If he is being overly aggressive I would be careful. You don't want him to hurt her. Do you have an extra cage to where you could put them next to each other so they can still see each other but no one get hurt. If you do try this for a day and see how it goes. It could be a temporary thing or it could be permanent. Only time will tell. Is he aggressive near certain toys? Food? Water bowl?

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
thanks. He's aggressive towards me sometimes and he bites hard (me, he's not injured Snickers, and now Snickers is out loose in the birdroom with the other tiels). :( No, he's not aggressive towards his toys, perches, food etc. I have 3 food bowls in there and 2 water bowls so they have plenty of their own space to eat/drink. I have a smaller extra cage that I could use, but I want to find out why he's so aggressive.. :/ I think he might be sorta territiorial of the cage

Yoan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Yoan
My pair is bonded too but my male is a plucker.When he preens his mate or daughter he always pluck feather.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.