• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel age

RGGS

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,

I just bought him 3 days ago from a small pet shop. They told us he is 5 months old but now I am not so sure ..He also is not very active . Can anyone tell how you can determine age and if it is normal for a cockatiel not to be very active? We bought him toys but he is not touching them .he also is very scared and we can't go near him!

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he is a 5 mo. old male he should lose the pearl markings he has and the barring on the underside of his tail.
Give him a chance to get used to his new home and new people. He's probably scared and stressed and that is normal.
What is the green coloration under and around his beak?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiel is really cute. It's pretty hard to tell exact age- other than he's young. It's normal for a bird to be scared in a new home. If he's really nervous you can cover the cage on three sides, leaving the front open until he settles down more. That way he doesn't have to be on alert for "danger" on all 4 sides. Spend time sitting with him and talking to him. Even reading to him. That way he gets used to your presence in a nonthreatening way. When you leave him, playing music or leaving the TV on may help too as silence during the day can also be scary. Also young tiels tend to be clumsy. So make sure he can easily get to his good and water. Sometimes, perches even need to be lowered. As for toys, he's probably scared of them right now or might not even now how to play yet.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I’m also SUPER curious about the green :wideyed:

Cute bird! It took about two weeks for my tiel to stop pretending to be a statue after I brought him home.

Reactions: Ali

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
He is really adorable! For some birds it might take a while for them to be comfortable around you like everyone else said, but maybe take a look at him feet, if they are scale like and rough he could be and old adult, but if they are smooth and not to scale like he could be a young bird. This might work the other way around, but either way it's hard to figure out a cockatiels age.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Aaaw! He wants to be a Green Cheek when he grows up! :rofl: