• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel age for breeding

nabeela

Walking the driveway
I have got a new cockatiel for my spiky who is 1 year 5 months old. His name is fluffy and he is around 4 months . They both are kept in same cage. Spiky is a female. I wanted to know whether is it appropriate for them to breed coz of the age difference. Can any one reply me soon.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
why are you wanting to breed them? also, that cage is too small for a cockatiel...

nabeela

Walking the driveway
I dont want to breed them. But they have mated several times. I am actually concerned about the age of fluffy. He is too young and is not even an adult.
I have searched for many cages but i dint get a proper cage for them. Here varieties are less.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I dont want to breed them. But they have mated several times. I am actually concerned about the age of fluffy. He is too young and is not even an adult

You are right. They're both too young to breed. If you are concerned they shouldn't be in the same cage. The cage is very minimum for even one bird. Never mind 2.

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Hi. Go to the post titled "Recommended Food." Go to page 2 and scroll down to Jaguars post. She was kind enough to list links to some great cages. You can buy them on line. Keep them out of the cage as much as possible till you get a new cage because thats way to small. They can't stretch there wings. (kinda like being stuck in a airplane seat all day) You can use that one as a carrying cage to vet so hang on to it. My advice for you would be not to let them breed. Good luck there very cute!
Maybe that rope spiral should come out in the meantime to give them some more room. What does anyone else think??

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiels are very cute.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:) Very cute tiels. But as everyone said, you should order a larger cage for sure, online if you have to. That one barely reaches the requirements for one cockatiel. Also, when they get older they will mate, and to not risk pregnancy, I would house them separately as soon as possible. Good luck with your fids. :D

nabeela

Walking the driveway
Sure I'll get the new cage online. They mate everyday. I get worried . Coz fluffy is way young .

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Can you get another cage just like the current one in the meantime? They need to be housed separately now! Cages can be next to each other and they can still have supervised out time but you need to avoid mating all together!

They are both beautiful!!

nabeela

Walking the driveway
By 9 months fluffy will become an adult i suppose ??

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
By 9 months fluffy will become an adult i suppose ??

9 months is STILL too young!! Just because they may be able to reproduce does not mean it's healthy for them. They need time to mature. It would be like child/teen pregnancy.......kids need time to mature! Just because a child can reproduce doesn't mean they can handle the pregnancy, labor, child birth or being a parent. Coming of age (menstruation) doesn't mean they are now adults.......for Fluffy's sake separate them NOW instead of figuring out things that should happen at this point! PLEASE stop risking the life of your birds!!

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Cockatiels breed like crazy. They can become egg bound and you could be looking at large vet bills or sad endings... if people sound alarmed it's because no one here wants you go through that or your tiles. Good for you for getting right on line to look for advice! Good luck!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

nabeela

Walking the driveway
Fluffy is a male. Spiky will become 2 years in around 6 months time. Its actually impossible for me to separate them coz they look at each other sadly . I feeel guitly seeing them like this. I tried it before.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Its actually impossible for me to separate them coz they look at each other sadly . I feeel guitly seeing them like this. I tried it before.

It's not impossible to separate them but a sorry excuse for not separating them!! Say it like it is....you refuse to separate them! BOTH birds need to be of proper age. I feel bad that you would rather risk your birds health than separate them for their own good......