• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Advice

RayS

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
My name is Ray and I’m a proud owner of Two Budgies and Two Cockatiels.

I have two questions.

First is about Chello, my 1.5 year old Male Cockatiel. I’ve had him since he was 8 months old, and trained him nice and slowly.
he now steps on my finger, flys in the house and knows where to perch while outisde, eats from my hand, and even replies to my calls to fly to me when he’s hanging somewhere high (walls..)
One small but major problem that am not able to solve, is biting.
He just doesn’t like to be touched, and I really do want to be able to pet him.
While he is very cooperative and fast learner, he just cannot learn not to bite and I really don’t know what to do, any help?

Second question is about Chella, my 6 months old Lutino female cockatiel.
I got her less than a week ago, of course she’s still very shy, calm, and rejects interactions so I’m providing her with needed space to settle in, but she’s always facing the wall not looking at me, and very afraid when my hand is inside the cage to change her food bowls.
question is, can someone advise if there is anything that can be done about that? And what age is suitable for her to start breeding ? 77CBA724-37FA-4EE8-9A0A-22C99673E714.jpeg 4FF878BA-F526-4CC0-A6FA-AEEF11F55D97.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Ray! 1.welcome signs.gif

Gorgeous birds you have there!

And what age is suitable for her to start breeding ?
At least 18 months old, having been on a balanced diet for ideally 6 months. So pellets, Vegetables and possibly supplements - this is something to discuss with your vet.

@Khizz

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiels are very cute. Some birds just don't like to be petted. It's not something you can force. As for the biting, are you trying to pet him when he does it? Tiels usually give pretty good warning signs before they bite. If they don't, it's usually because their warning signs have been ignored, so they figure why bother warning, it's not working, so I'm just going to bite. For your female, if she's really scared you can try covering her cage on three side, leaving the front open for a few days so she doesn't have to be on "alert" for danger all the time. You can also just sit by her and read to her. It may sound silly but it gets her used to you and your voice in a nonthreatening way with no scary eye contact.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Ray!

Couple things I can help with right off the bat-

1.) some tiels are just not “petting” birds. Each and every bird has a personality. Some personalities are not touchy feely. Sounds like your male might be in that category. And while it can seem unfair, (after all we buy the feed and do all the work surely we can expect snuggles!) but tiels have the right to not want to be snuggled and touched. And, usually enough... they communicate this by biting when someone doesn’t listen to their protests. A bird that doesn’t want to be petted isn’t a bad tempered bird, and it doesn’t even mean they’re mistrustful of hands. On the contrary, they’re just asking you to be respectful and mindful of their body.

And despite their size, a cockatiel who continues to be petted without their consent WILL result in continued bloodshed of the offending hand. Tiels have often been known to become injured themselves attempting to flee snuggles!
If Chello were my bird, I would be content and happy with the amazing interactions you have with him already. And who knows, somewhere along his life he may surprise you and ask you for a scratch or snuggle!

2.) Chella has only known you a week. Just go super slow and keep your movements predictable. Tiels like predictable.

3.) Breeding is healthiest after the pair is over 2 years old each. But many things need to be in place and happen before breeding commences.