• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Acting Strange?

Burritooru

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robin Grey
Hi a bit of background information I recently bought a 3 month old baby cockatiel from a breeder it is presumed to be a male. I've had him for 2 weeks going on 3 and so far he's been so sweet he allows head scratches and likes being around people recently Ive been staying home and my cockatiel does this thing where he begins to sort of whistle, squeak and mixtures of contact calls and then begins rapid biting at whatever is in front of him. I'm very scared as I don't know what is occurring with him. But while he is rapid biting his feet are warm, nothing is being done to provoke him i can include a video if needed please help!

EDIT: He also stretches out all his feathers while rapid biting in this action

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your cute little bird, he sounds like a real sweetie! A video would be helpful, but it seems like might be mad or frustrated about something. My little Twilight used to do this a lot when he was younger, and I thunk it was mostly when he wanted to come out and I wasn't quite ready for him yet.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
So his feet get hotter while he does this behavior? A video would really help a lot.
Have you called your vet to discuss this and see if he/she thinks your friend needs a check-up?

It's proably just baby behavior but a vid would help.

Is this your first parrot?

Burritooru

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robin Grey

Here's the video I got, sorry for the bad quality. In this video he gets upset due to the phone near him but this is what he does when he has the fit. It can happen out of nowhere it begins by him vocalizing then rapid biting. Yes he is my first parrot and his feet are warm when he begins doing this action

@theocnoob @Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, just cranky baby behavior.;)

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Sydney does this. I call it "angry tiel". He does it whenever he doesn't approve of something. He's not scared, nor is he really angry. For example, at night, Sydney says good night to Sam, then I walk him to his cage. During this time he'll sometimes do this rapid fire tiel nibbling. I look at it as though he's letting me know he's not pleased with my behavior, but he's not actually mad or angry enough to bite.

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he's upset like that, it would be a good idea to put him down, maybe give him some time to cool off. Maybe try handling him for shorter periods of time? Or try and make the experience more positive with him by providing millet?