• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel’s feather is bent, should I pluck it?

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
Hi everyone!:greet14:
My cockatiel is molting for the first time and I’ve noticed his feather is totally bent. It’s been like this since this morning and I thought it would fall off by now but it hasn’t.:chin: It looks like it’s hanging on by a thread… should I pluck it?:shrug:
I’ve read online sometimes feathers can be stubborn during a molt and it’s best to pluck it, especially if there’s blood. I don’t see any blood spots anywhere and his behavior seems to be normal. He’s not protective over the feather or making any noise indicating pain.

Attachments

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
No you shouldn’t pluck it. Mine have had ones like that and they fixed it on their own. Its most likely not bent, just upside down.

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
No you shouldn’t pluck it. Mine have had ones like that and they fixed it on their own. Its most likely not bent, just upside down.
Ohh okay I see. Thank you!

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Ohh okay I see. Thank you!
After looking closer i see what you mean about a thread. It looks broken. If its truly a tiny thread, i dont see why you couldnt snip the thread with scissors if its bothering you. Otherwise the bird will take care of it on its own.

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
After looking closer i see what you mean about a thread. It looks broken. If its truly a tiny thread, i dont see why you couldnt snip the thread with scissors if its bothering you. Otherwise the bird will take care of it on its own.
Ahh okay that makes sense. I will keep the feather as is. If he appears to be bothered by it, I will cut it. Thank you for the suggestion!:)

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can give her a soaking bath, sometimes that solves feather issues.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No to plucking.
Only snip it off if it’s hanging and catching on things otherwise leave the feather and your bird will sort it out.