• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockateil pecked at moth ball(naphthalene)

Sam123

Meeting neighbors
Hi. Earlier this morning (around 11:30 am), my cockatiel was playing in the room (out of his cage). A few minute (emphasis on very very small) particles of naphthalene were lying on the floor. I saw him peck on one of those particles and immediately took him away. I am almost sure that he didn't ingest one. It's only when I smelt a faint scent of naphthalene around his beak that I got really worried. I washed the area around his beak clean with water and have been monitoring him since. It's been almost 3 hours and his behavior is completely normal. His flight is normal, droppings are normal and so is his appetite. He is singing songs and playing around (peekaboo which is his favorite game). When he took his afternoon nap for 10 minutes, he slept while sitting on the perch on one leg like he normally does. I saw him drinking water quite a few times since but it could just be me overthinking. I am really really worried. Does he sound ok??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How is your bird doing now? With all signs being normal yesterday I am hoping you are right and he did not actually eat any of the moth ball.

Sam123

Meeting neighbors
How is your bird doing now? With all signs being normal yesterday I am hoping you are right and he did not actually eat any of the moth ball.
It's been 22 hours and he's completely normal. I hope the same. Always I was wondering how long does it usually take for symptoms to show? It's been 22 hours without symptoms, does it mean he's safe?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not really familiar with the issues connected with ingesting the product you mentioned so I can’t reliably say either way, but, I would think you’d likely have seen problems already if they were going to happen.
I’d keep an eye out for any changes over the next few days anyway and see a vet if anything were to change.
Hopefully he didn’t swallow any and all will be well.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Moth balls are dangerous even for humans. Naphthalene is vapor that can make humans wheeze,cough and other respiratory issues. It's a no no in my house.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks I will make sure to dispose it. Also update on my bird.... he's completely fine and normal.
That is great news!