• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatail lost for 2 months returning home

Bdwife

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lora
Hi everyone I go a question in regards to a cockatiel being lost for two months ( in cold night temperatures for the first week or so )and has been found 30 km from home. I’m asking for my daughter. Cockateil used to know the wolf sounds and little peekaboo…. But not saying it now…. Other behaviors such as cuddles and head petting, the way he drinks water etc is all the same behavior as before he accidentally flew out the door. Only been back with us 24 hours. I guess her question is : is it possible that the two months in the wild change some of his behavior? Also he was mounting when he flew away… some of his white is no longer there in the back of his head. She wants to make sure she did not take someone else’s cockateil but than again no post or SPCA or social media etc has claimed him .., she was the only one in the area and we literally live in a villlage surrounded by villages and farm land. I mean if someone was to come forward We would have to reassess the behavior. I mean if you left me in the jungle for two months I’d definitely change… any ideas or how a cockateil behavior physically and mentally change after being lost for two
Months ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There’s as big a chance it’s not your original bird as there is that it is your original bird. 30km is not really very far for a bird to fly.
Unless it did something very very unique I don’t think you can tell the difference between some of these birds like cockatiels (unless yours had very unusual or particular markings).
Peekaboo and wolf whistles are pretty commonly taught to many companion birds, is there another sound that your bird used to make that was somewhat different to what lots of birds do- my bird makes a weird kinda duck like sound for example, a unique trick it was taught maybe?
24hrs may not be enough time (if it is your original bird) for the bird to feel comfy enough to make noises but there is also the possibility that if it is your bird it now longer makes the sounds it did as they served no purpose while out alone.
How old was your bird when it flew off? Had it moulted before?