• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cocatiel hen attacking her babies

Artchi

Moving in
Real Name
Steph
Hi why would the mother attack her babies and will she do this again in the future. She was a first time parent her partner was outside the nest box when she attacked them. I'm just very sacred she does this again the babies was 3 days and Older. I tried to safe all 4 of them. But after a few days they passed away. I tried my best I hardly slept over those few days there was not much I could do. So please no nasty comments. I'm now worried my other female might end up doing the same it Wil be her first time too. Does this happen allot to new bird parents do they get to overwhelmed and tired how can I prevent this in future.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know if it happens a lot but it does happen unfortunately. I don't know if anyone can say with any certainty either way whether she would do it again or not.

Artchi

Moving in
Real Name
Steph
She is tame she is really a good bird I'm so shocked at what she did makes no sense to me. She was very tired, the dad was actively involved in keeping them warm and feeding them the first few days before the tragedy. So it's not like she did all the work herself. I give her allot of attention she is always such a happy good girl in and out of her cage so she is not a frustrated birdy. I bought her in a pet shop 2 half years ago the birds pecked her they kept her in the back so I was happy to find her and safe her from that environment. But that's a long time ago I don't know her history before the pets hop.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't think there is always a trigger for these things. Some animals just aren't good mothers, or maybe something scared her, or the chicks weren't healthy and she knew :shrug:

Artchi

Moving in
Real Name
Steph
Do you think it's because she had them in winter breeding out of season

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No, cockatiels breed year round in captivity

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She is tame she is really a good bird I'm so shocked
I give her allot of attention
A ¨tame¨ bird doesn´t mean they will be good parents. Actually, the lesser tame birds sometimes make better parents as they won´t be distracted by humans.
During breeding season they should be left to tend to their chicks/eggs. When my birds have eggs or chicks in the nest, I will open the door for them, they don´t always come out to fly, and I just let them fly, eat a treat they find on the stand and go back to the box. I don´t practise any recall with them and I only interact with them if they come to me.
If you are calling your bird to you, they might neglect their nest to be with you.

But after a few days they passed away.
What happened? If you tell me more innfo, maybe we can work out what went wrong. Usually if you can get the chicks out quick enough when the parents attack, you can raise them yourself.
What was the set up you put them into? How were you feeding them?