• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cobalt parrotlet-coat of many hues

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
All of these photos have had zero altering from the way the iPhone camera saw this little dark factor blue guy. I’m not exactly sure how old he is, forget to get his hatch date (I will) but he’s just about fully weaned.

As I understand it, blue parrotlets with one copy of the dark factor show no visual green. Blue shades always interesting when you try to capture them accurately. It’s very difficult. As you see here, the phone camera records the colors differently depending on the lighting changes in the tent. Yep, we’re in the tent.:wideyed:

P. S. 4 days home and ….Landing on me! Chirping for my attention! Eating from my hand! Got head scritches tonight too!! Woo hoo!

26F0BD20-BDF9-4757-80E4-B5BBC80E7562.jpeg DF1732E5-1DA0-428D-9316-8A441ADBA606.jpeg 08B5D13B-9AB6-45BA-A9A6-BBFA5D676C69.jpeg CE407253-A104-4950-8DDA-22CFF9FBF492.jpeg 9AAF593E-ECB7-4ED7-AD44-20782D555060.jpeg BD98186A-FF50-4036-B502-ABF1C0B6DEF2.jpeg

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Thank you for sharing that video. It is very informative. I was aware that blue is a structural color, rather than a pigment, but I wasn't really clear on what that meant before. The images helped a lot.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Great video: also googled physics of structural plumage, Physics of blue feathers- ton of hits.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm curious what your thoughts are with the tent. I know you're a certified dog trainer and love clicker training, so am wondering if the tent serves a related purpose.

It's good to see your little one settling in!

Sorry if that video distracted from your cutie, but I thought you'd find it interesting with your little blue guy.

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
That video is AWESOME! I really wanted to know what the heck is going on with the blues because it appears to change right in front of you.

@flyzipper The tent is serving a fantastic purpose!! I’m incredibly impressed with how it has worked. Full explanation of my thinking and his rapid learning in a thread I’m getting ready to post. I’ll come back here and link it for you when it’s posted.