• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Co-parenting with lovebirds

Nightingale

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suane Lourens
This is my first time handrearing baby lovebirds, it is also my lovebird pair's first surviving clutch (the ones before were all DIS). I discovered that the father lovebird was plucking the babies' down feathers and so I removed them from the nest for handrearing and protection from the father.
(Babies are 3weeks old)

What I want to know is:
1. Is it traumatizing for the lovebird parents or babies if I remove them?
2. Why did the father behave this way?
3. Should the mother still be allowed to see her young?

Ps. Any tips or advice will be helpful thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I used to breed lovebirds 16 years ago. I no longer do, To answer your questions, Some parent birds will pluck their babies, out of jealously and or because they sometimes will try to get another clutch of babies I had to remove all the babies as the parent lovebirds I had, both of them used to pluck their babies. The hen for a few days was upset, But after a few days, it was like she didnt care. When I was handfeeding the babies, I would let the hen see them, but under my supervision.

Nightingale

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suane Lourens
Thank you so very much fidsmom, your answer completely satisfies my questions and concerns. I am thankful to get to know others who also have a love and passion for lovebirds and their care.