• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clumsy birds?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
When I let my pair of parrotlets out of the cage, they often fly around, but end up hitting into walls. Is there something wrong here? Should I be worried?

Also, could it be if there wings were clipped by the breeder? How long do the wing feathers take to grow back after clipping? It wouldn't seem right though, because I got them in February last year.

Thank you in advance!

Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depending on when they were clipped in relation to their molting schedule, it can take 6 to 18 months for them to get full flight back. It's a skill they have to learn, just like babies learning to walk, so even with a full set of wings they'll need to practice a lot before they are skilled :)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you. I hope it is just the possibility of clipped wings. Thinking back they do seem to have got better since the start.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Take them to the walls and tap on them so they understand they can't fly into them.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
When one of them came out yesterday (the other decided to stay in) and she seemed a lot better, and more settled. She managed to find the rope perch and the play stand this time, which neither of them had managed to do. Very happy! :)