• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clumsy bird and owner - Is she ok?

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hey guys!

So I had an accident with Skittles yesterday, and now I feel awful! She seems ok, she is eating, preening, bathing, normal droppings, active as always and doesnt seem to have any injuries but I'm still a bit concerned.

So basically last night I walked passed her and she wanted to join me so she kinda jump behind me, I didnt see her cause I had my back toward her. Since I was walking she tried to grab the closest thing to her which was my hand. Since I was close to her and just felt something pinching me on my hand I kinda had the reflex to move my hand, had I seen her I probably would have done it more gently of course and now feel terrible for my bad reaction and reflex. Long story short, she kinda flew across the room because of the motion of my arm, and landed on her feet. Ok this way it sounds extremely bad, she landed a couple feet from me, maybe a meter in distance really. I don't think that she hit anything in her landing, but I wonder if maybe she injured her beak when she grabbed and I kinda pulled away...

In any case, she is eating, chatting, climbing and all. She seems ok. No blood, no bruise or cracks on the beak... but now she is traumatized by my hands and won't let me approach her with my hands. She retreats and backs up the minute she sees my hands or fingers and she kinda tries poking them...thats when I noticed that she isnt using her beak as usual. No problem eating pellets or seeds... but she is not using her beak to climb as she used to and is no longer biting us hard... just tiny bites but not with a lot of pressure. I wonder if she hurt her beak or if she is afraid to use it now... I'm trying to give her space as she is clearly scared of me, which breaks my heart... on the other hand she does come to me and perches on my shoulder. She did climb on my hand a couple times to get to my shoulder as it was the only way for her to get there.

Do you guys think I should be worried that she no longer bites hard or climbs with her beak? Should I just be patient and see how she is in a couple days. I know that for my hands I'll need to give her space and not force anything. Gain her trust again..

Thanks for your help guys!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I do not know what is going on with your bird. If this was me and one of mine banged their beak then stopped using it, I would get my vet to take a look to be sure they are not in pain. It could just be a bruise but I think if you can get to the vet, then do so.

The situation you describe happens to me often, I am busy cleaning cages etc and one will come at me to land but I am busy and moving my arms and they can´t grab on, but they have their wings and are able to fly to another spot to perch. Worth thinking about in the future anyway.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
I do not know what is going on with your bird. If this was me and one of mine banged their beak then stopped using it, I would get my vet to take a look to be sure they are not in pain. It could just be a bruise but I think if you can get to the vet, then do so.

The situation you describe happens to me often, I am busy cleaning cages etc and one will come at me to land but I am busy and moving my arms and they can´t grab on, but they have their wings and are able to fly to another spot to perch. Worth thinking about in the future anyway.

Yeah if she doesnt start using it again I'll definitely go see a vet.

Right now its not so bad though. I've been monitoring her and she eats and uses her beak a bit more to climb or bite. Its not a lot though. I think she is afraid to use it again more than in pain.. but if that doesnt change by tomorrow I'll go see a doc.

Relieved to see that it happens to other owners too.

She has her wings too. they were clipped when she was a baby but they grew back. She's not using them a lot however. We've been training her to use them more and to fly to us. So hopefully this will help in the future if something similar happens again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww that´s a shame. Hopefully she will learn how to use them better. I wish I had some tips. Maybe post in The Airport and ask others how they helped their birds take flight.