• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clumsy 7mo conure question

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Hi all. I got a 7mo black capped conure on Thursday night. Things are going well with him/her and he is very sweet. Welcome home Mushu! I took him to the vet the next day for an exam and gendering, but since I haven't spent much time with him, I didn't realize the clumsiness. I'm currently changing his diet and the pellets are a bigger than the seeds he's used to eating so he tries to hold them in his foot and almost falls over very time. It's like his tail is too close to him and it makes him unsteady. It always bends toward his butt instead of out like a kangaroo tail (hopefully that makes sense). He's a flyer and I want that but whoever clipped him did a horrid job. He always leans right and this will be a challenge when I start flight training! I'm curious if he will grow out of this clumsiness? He has another vet appointment April 2 because the vet couldn't get blood for the gendering so I'll definitely mention it. I'm assuming that he hasn't had to use his feet to eat, it's a balancing act/muscle that he will have to learn but I'm not sure! Thank you!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think within the next few months, if he hasn't grown out of the clumsiness after getting used to being home with you and his surroundings, you might want to have additional testing. I would test for abv in this instance first. It could be he is slow on the development part or perhaps he just hadn't had a chance to build up muscles. Sometimes a poor diet will lead to weakness as well. Vet visit is great, now get him climbing and get his diet in order. Those would be my first thoughts. I know Donny had weakness with climbing around. His new mom says he is much stronger now. He had a pretty poor diet and small cage.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
I think within the next few months, if he hasn't grown out of the clumsiness after getting used to being home with you and his surroundings, you might want to have additional testing. I would test for abv in this instance first. It could be he is slow on the development part or perhaps he just hadn't had a chance to build up muscles. Sometimes a poor diet will lead to weakness as well. Vet visit is great, now get him climbing and get his diet in order. Those would be my first thoughts. I know Donny had weakness with climbing around. His new mom says he is much stronger now. He had a pretty poor diet and small cage.
Thank you for replying! He is great eater and tries new foods which is a huge difference from my sun who is finally on a chop+pellet diet. Mushu didn't have a lot of perches in his tiny cage at Petsmart but I ordered a lot of perches and will definitely get those unused muscles working! He also has a java tree so hopefully it's just a muscle thing.