• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Clover tried to scalp Daisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msminnamouse

Strolling the yard
OMG. This is the THIRD time I am TRYING to post this. It keeps not loading and doesn't load what I just wrote out when I'm forced to hit the back button. This is driving me insane. Hence, since I'm tired of writing and re-writing, I will just write the basics.

Clover tried to scalp Daisy. She is bald above her ceres and there's a small amount of blood. I can't tell if there's any new damage to the skin since she had an injury in the same place before thanks to Clover, and I don't even really know what the old injury really looked like since I've never seen her bald before to see it completely.

Should I gently swab with a moist cotton ball twice a day to remove any dirt and follow up with topical antiseptic twice a day?

Should I even bother taking her to the vet for this? Last time something like this happened, the vet said there was nothing she could do, handed me a vial of oral antibiotics, and billed me for about $100. It wasn't even an emergency scheduled appointment.

The picture is the best I can do with my abilities and quality of camera.

Can you believe, that while I was writing this out, Daisy was still trying to get into Clover's cage with Clover in it? Not too bright.

Attachments

Last edited:

artgeek09

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
aww poor baby :'( Unfortunately I have no information to lend, but I'm sure soon someone will come along! If you have any left over oral antibiotics (as long as they're not too old, as I don't know if those things have an expiration date), I would start those up again.
Again though, I'm no expert.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Eeek, seperate rooms for them from now on eh?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I wouldn't give antibiotics for a superficial wound. I hope someone knows..for sure. Sending healing energy.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
OMG!! Yes wash it with warm sterile water and gentle soap, then I would swab it with a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/water solution and then put a tiny bit of neosporin on there. What the heck are they doing? Do you have two females? I would not ever let them out again together.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I would take a Q-tip and clean off the top of the nare and see if the skin is broken...I'm not for giving anti botics unless major damage is there...If she was my bird, I would make a paste of water/cayenne pepper and apply where/if skin was opened up and bleeding ...this will clot the blood/help kill any pain and also help with healing...NOW are both of these birds female? If so..... PLEASE don't keep out at same time...one is the HEAD HEN and defending her area from another female and she WILL KILL the other bird for this reason...she is letting you know she doesn't want this bird near her/territory....
Sorry for the double post!!!!! Didn't think it went on!

Msminnamouse

Strolling the yard
Eeek, seperate rooms for them from now on eh?
More like planets...

I would take a Q-tip and wipe away any of the blood and see if there is any "bite" mark at the top of her nare...I'm not for using anti botics but would put cayenne paste IF the skin is broken...this will help with healing and pain and clot any more bleeding......
I did initially remove all the blood and didn't see any. I'm hoping the blood is from the feathers being ripped out. Wouldn't cayenne paste make the pain worse due to the burning?? Are we talking cayenne pepper paste?

I wouldn't give antibiotics for a superficial wound.
Yeah, that's the way I feel too. They seem to automatically hand them out whenever the slightest thing is wrong. Clover or Daisy (can't remember which) even had candida stemming from one of these antibiotic cure all prescriptions before, not to mention we all know about possible bacterial immunities with over use.

OMG!! Yes wash it with warm sterile water and gentle soap, then I would swab it with a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/water solution and then put a tiny bit of neosporin on there. What the heck are they doing? Do you have two females? I would not ever let them out again together.
I agree with the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide solution. My uncle, who's a surgeon, recommends it for humans so I figure it applies to birds too. I wish I knew what they are doing. I don't even begin to understand what goes on in those fluffy minds of theirs. I have to let them out together, they need each other's company. They are always supervised when together. This time was kind of my fault. Daisy likes to sneak into Clover's cage (and sometimes vise versa) and since they were standing right together, I scoop both of them up with a shirt and depot both of them, shirt and all, on the floor outside the now closed cage. Before I get a chance to remove the shirt, Daisy stumbles out bloodied and bald.

Last edited:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Poor little thing....I agree... If it were me, I would clean it up, use the Cayenne paste... I would not use old.... or any antibiotics, keep it clean and keep them seperated.... Ohh and sending you big hugs!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, sorry about Daisy. If it were one of mine I would clean the wound with 5 drops of GSE in a cup of water. Then evaluate the wound, skin, cere, etc. The apply a paste of cayenne and water as BF described above. A great option is Silvasorb Gell, it is both non-toxic works well, however a bit on the expensive side. A vet visit will always ease your mind.

I would not recommend using hydrogen peroxide, it kills healthy skin cells. Research before before even considering it!

Gary

Last edited:

Msminnamouse

Strolling the yard
Um, I don't understand why so many people are telling me to rub hot peppers in her wound.

keep them seperated.
Definably. We don't need Clover trying to groom the area, which she's almost certain to do.

If it were one of mine I would clean the wound with 5 drops of GSE in a cup of water.
GSE has only been proven to be a very mild antiseptic, if that. I would rather use something that has been proven to be more effective, rather than take chances with infection and her health.

I would not recommend using hydrogen peroxide, it kills healthy skin cells. Research before before even considering it!
Remember where I said this:
I agree with the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide solution. My uncle, who's a surgeon, recommends it for humans so I figure it applies to birds too.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor Daisy...awwwww..hope you keep them se parated fr om now on..this will happen again and again and co uld end in real traged y...:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Depending on the depth of the would(deep tissue into muscle) I wouldn't use any hydrogen peroxide. I learned a lot last summer with my Opa with his facial wound. I did the hydrogen peroxide mix and it killed his skin. Bird skin and muscle is different than mammals.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,Im so sorry this happened. I hope she will be ok.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Topical Cayenne pepper is a great antiseptic and wound healer; it does not burn when applied. H2O2 does kill tissue even at 50% and should not be used on birds. Clean the area and if you do not use the cayenne, leave it open to the air. Keep an eye on it. If it turns red or gets any drainage, take her to a vet.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Depending on the depth of the would(deep tissue into muscle) I wouldn't use any hydrogen peroxide. I learned a lot last summer with my Opa with his facial wound. I did the hydrogen peroxide mix and it killed his skin. Bird skin and muscle is different than mammals.

Although different Hydrogen peroxide kills healthy tissue in humans also. Only time I would use it on people is a dirty abrasion such as skidding on gravel. The peroxide foams out the particles. Plain soap and water is good or keep a small bottle of normal saline (can be bought at any drug store) and rinse the wound. If you use neosporin on a bird use cream instead of ointment as ointment has zinc in it.

So sorry about your birds injury and hoping for quick healing.

Peggy

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Oh boy, still at it... poor Daisy!! I hope she'll be okay. It's so heartbreaking when you see one of your birds keep going back to the bird that injures/hurts it. :(

Msminnamouse

Strolling the yard
Cayenne pepper helps wounds heal.
Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper
Yes... But what about the burning?

Topical Cayenne pepper is a great antiseptic and wound healer; it does not burn when applied.
Have you ever tried it? Because I had a fresh scratch and rubbed some cayenne pepper into it since I was curious and it burned like h*ll. I am NOT going to subject an animal to that. Especially when they have products that help wounds heal without causing pain.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Please don't use hydrogen peroxide! Last week we had a puppy come into the vet clinic that had to have its whole toe amputated. His nail got caught on something and started bleeding. His owner used hydrogen peroxide to clean it and it pretty much ate away the toe.

The toe could have been saved if the owner had used something less abrasive. Just because it's alright to use on humans, doesn't mean it's alright for animals. I'd hate to think what hydrogen peroxide could do to a bird's skin. Especially a sensitive area like the head and nares.

I hope your baby heals quickly! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.