• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cloud & Moss move move out into their own flight cage

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, feel free to say "I told you so!". It seemed at first like all would be well. For a solid week Marigold, Frosting, Cloud & Moss got along reasonably well.

But then I began to notice disturbing things:
  • If Cloud or Moss were eating, Marigold or Frosting would suddenly need that dish (there were, as I tried in vain to fix this, 10 food dishes + multiple water dishes).
  • If Moss was preening, Marigold wasn't having it.
  • Marigold, & to a lesser extent Frosting, liked to be the taller budgie. It literally looked liked kids saying 'I'm taller than you are!' circa grade 3.
  • Moss got sassed a lot. Lots of trash talk headed her way.
  • Marigold & Frosting would threaten every budgie else with their beaks. Once, they convinced Cloud to turn on Moss. All three were sassing poor, bewildered Moss. And I was done.
There was no fighting or physical contact. There certainly were no feathers or bloodshed. But seeing is believing. Budgies should be kept in huge aviaries or in pairs. I am reformed. I believe as they matured this would've gone south, sooner or later.

So this morning I went out & bought another Prevue Hendryx F040, set it up, transferred some of the items & the budgies. I'll finish later this afternoon & post pictures.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think separating them is a fine move. They may yet get along just fine. There will always be pecking order squabbles. Perhaps let them all have shared out of cage time, but separate cages for now?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Ah budgies. Can't deny their sassy nature. I have always known what would happen with me. Mark being himself, he would be a target. Parker can get pushy with Mark, but I know they love each other and don't literally "fight".
Things work out for the best, though. You can probably keep a closer eye on them now.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cloud & Moss
74EAA942-81A7-4CA7-B37B-DB345BF2B745.jpeg

Marigold & Frosting
BF368153-9A0C-41F7-85EC-76E6F100E358.jpeg

Some of the new F040 isn’t as nice as the old! The paint has changed (neutral change). The closures are cheaper & the tray has both changed & doesn’t fit as well! 3AE31095-5389-4323-B406-D510AE2DA4B4.jpeg

45BB4B89-6267-4AC0-BD4A-42C099DDDCFC.jpeg

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Ah, silly budgies, so good at making so much drama!

At least they have loads and loads of space now and they may yet decide to flock together.

Good to have your thoughts on the cage. When I looked at it at the store (with 2 budgies inside) I sent one of the full trays of seed flying with the smallest touch. I felt so bad!!!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
It's great that you are keeping your 'eagle eye' on their doings! That is a great looking new cage, but sorry to hear that it is not as good as the older one. Why do these companies make these changes when they are not for the better?! I have a Prevue that Fergus and Fiona are in now, and I actually bought a back up cage exactly like theirs... (just in case!)