• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping wings

Jdu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
No
Hi, I was wondering how many people clip their birds wings but couldn't find anything on line. Can you please fill out this survey about this if you have the time. It's just a yea or no question btw.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No clipped birds at my house.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum!

What's the purpose of the question? Are you trying to decide what to do for yours? Writing a research paper?

A quote I like very much...

“You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right – that’s the only thing that makes you right. And if your facts and reasoning are right, you don’t have to worry about anybody else.” -- Warren Buffett.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is never wise to clip bird's wings other than in the case if illness or if it is persistently attacking you.

Their health including circulation, heart and lungs is highly dependent on whether they can fly or not. Also not being able to fly leads to obesity which has a whole another set of health problems

I have had flighted macaws for 25 years.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Nope

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We have this poll here:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have six flighted birds. In 20 years I've never had a reason to clip any..

But there could be reasons I would. One I can think of is I was moving across country/ out of country requiring quarantine.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
In the six years I've owned birds, I have only had clipped birds twice. The first was Chirp, who was clipped before I knew better. The second was with Jade, who was clipped by the store after fledging but before coming home.

After I learned about why birds shouldn't be clipped, I let Chirp’s wings grow out and he remained that way until his death. He became a very proficient flyer.

Jade was clipped as a part of store policy. Once she came home, she molted out the cut flights within a few months, and has remained fully flighted since.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I had an Alexandrine parrot and previous owners had clipped her wings. She had some issues before she got to us such as cage aggression and plucking. She was in the process of growing out her wings. We didn’t realize she had full flight. Our mistake. We took her out and just like everyone here says, a small noise spooked her into a tree. Not too tall but she couldn’t get down because of the clip and looked panicked. We tried to use a branch for her to step up which she is used to but it just scared her more and she took off! We searched for her through the night with flashlights. I hadn’t bonded with her, but my ex had, and he was especially devastated. Three days later, someone replied to our flyer. Some government town workers had found Harry walking around behind the PepsiCo building. When we picked him up, he was so disheveled and looked like he hadn’t slept the whole time. He looked so happy to be home. Thank god it ended that way!

AngyBenji

Moving in
Why shouldn't they be clipped? I was told by multiple people to have them clipped but if it's harmful then I don't wanna put my bird through that.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Nope no clipped birds at my house ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Why shouldn't they be clipped? I was told by multiple people to have them clipped but if it's harmful then I don't wanna put my bird through that.
Every part of a bird is built around flight, from feathers, to how they breathe, to their bones.

Clipping birds is akin to walking around with your shoelaces tied together. Sure, you can manage, but it's pretty inconvenient, and you certainly can't run for cardio to keep your heart healthy that way!

We already take away so many aspects of their life - mates, true foraging, flying miles a day, socializing with a flock of their kind - that it seems cruel to take away flight too.

Philosophy aside, birds who are clipped have increased risk for heart diseases, and behavioral issues like screaming and feather plucking.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My understanding is that clipped birds who happen to fly away, can’t get down. I’m sure there is a reason why, and someone can explain it further. I do know from experience that my full flighted birds never had a problem, they flew up, down, helicoptered. But Harry looked panicked like he couldn’t get down and he tried but the clipped wings on top of the lack of confidence, it was hard to see her frantic.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My understanding is that clipped birds who happen to fly away, can’t get down. I’m sure there is a reason why, and someone can explain it further. I do know from experience that my full flighted birds never had a problem, they flew up, down, helicoptered. But Harry looked panicked like he couldn’t get down and he tried but the clipped wings on top of the lack of confidence, it was hard to see her frantic.
The theory is that flying down is a learned skill. It takes more work to fly down than it does to fly up. So when birds who are not accustomed to practicing flying get loose, it is very easy to get up high. It is much harder for them to get down.

The alternative of course is simply that down = danger. Up high they can see farther and feel safer, so encouraging them to leave that safety, even to go to an owner they love, can be very hard.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
The theory is that flying down is a learned skill. It takes more work to fly down than it does to fly up. So when birds who are not accustomed to practicing flying get loose, it is very easy to get up high. It is much harder for them to get down.

The alternative of course is simply that down = danger. Up high they can see farther and feel safer, so encouraging them to leave that safety, even to go to an owner they love, can be very hard.
Thank you! Harry was crying and pacing and looking like he might jump down, but couldn’t seem to take the leap, for whatever reason. I remember thinking, this is beyond just fear, I don’t think she CAN get down.