• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping wings properly

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hi there.
I have my first parrot for a month until now. He isn't used to walk and be around people as i realized.
It was so difficult when i let him out of his cage because he immediately flew up to the highest place and stay there for a very long time. It was hard to get him to his cage again.

As i mentioned in my previous thread that i left the top 3 of flight feathers uncilpped for my Indian parrot after the first clip.

Yesterday it was raining and tweety was scared of thundering and lighting, so he flew up high to kitchen cabinet and there is an exhaust fan and it was on! I got terrified that he might hurt himself when he can fly this high.
So i decided to clip the left of flight feathers.
Now he can't fly anywhere and just able to lift himself up a little bit.
He can land safely but whenever he wants to fly he can't make it up high. Maybe a few inches high.

I feel guilty about that he can't fly up :"(
I started to think that i did a mistake but clipping his wings but i was so worried about him.

When an Indian parrot has their new wings feathers grow?
What would you suggest in this condition?

I really feel sad about him now but i want him to walk on the floor and be around us. I want him to know that we're his family and we aren't a threat. He does a good job and eating off our hands and clime anyone till now

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Clipping a bird's wings is controversial, but ultimately it's up to you. As I said in your other post it will take 6-10 weeks until the flight feathers grow back out. As long as you're doing what you feel is best in your situation don't let anyone make you feel bad about whichever choice you make in the future. All 3 of my birds initially came home with clipped wings, but have been fully flighted since.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Clipping a bird's wings is controversial, but ultimately it's up to you. As I said in your other post it will take 6-10 weeks until the flight feathers grow back out. As long as you're doing what you feel is best in your situation don't let anyone make you feel bad about whichever choice you make in the future. All 3 of my birds initially came home with clipped wings, but have been fully flighted since.
Yeah i think so. I'll wait until they drop to grow back again.
Until then I'll keep my eyes on him.

Thank you for your words and always reply to my post. You're so kind and helping me alot.
Thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can take up to 6 months for an adult bird to molt enough Feathers to fly again, as they usually only molt flight feathers twice a year, and then they don't usually molt all of them. I've had babies that took a year to get their flight back.

There isn't much more you can do besides wait. While you are waiting, you can try to identify says to keep your bird safe when they have flight again

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
It can take up to 6 months for an adult bird to molt enough Feathers to fly again, as they usually only molt flight feathers twice a year, and then they don't usually molt all of them. I've had babies that took a year to get their flight back.

There isn't much more you can do besides wait. While you are waiting, you can try to identify says to keep your bird safe when they have flight again
Ohh i see!
I thought it was the best solution to build a bond between us to clipped his wings and keep him close.
It's starting to work pretty good i guess. Today he allowed me to nuzzle his head and it was absolutely cute!!
I should wait for long enough to see if it was the best for him.

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've always bonded best with birds when they were given the chance to.be independent and come to me of their own will, vs being "trapped" next to me :)

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really feel sad about him now but i want him to walk on the floor and be around us. I want him to know that we're his family and we aren't a threat. He does a good job and eating off our hands and clime anyone till now
Dogs and cats feel comfortable walking the floor among their family. Birds are prey animals and generally feel vulnerable on the ground when they can't fly. Grounding the bird likely will have the opposite effect of what you are wanting.

This article has good information for you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He can land safely but whenever he wants to fly he can't make it up high. Maybe a few inches high.

I feel guilty about that he can't fly up :"(
What did you expect to happen? You cut his feathers to stop him flying... and now he cannot fly. You made that choice, even after some of us trying to post advice after the partial clip.
You could have just turned the fan off. Or closed the kitchen door. Quick, easy solutions.

It's starting to work pretty good i guess. Today he allowed me to nuzzle his head and it was absolutely cute!!
Stockholm syndrome.

I do hope you will allow your bird to grow his wings back, hopefully he will be willing to use them. For now the damage is done - wait for growth and hope there is no lasting psychological damage.

Also, when it is thundering and lightening in the future, if your bird gets spooked, best to keep him caged. I don´t let mine out of their cages when there´s bangs and booms, and bright flashes (this includes fireworks).