• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Clipping advice, please.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Anyone who knows me at all knows I'm vehemently against wing clipping. This remains true.

However, my starling, for all intents and purposes clipped himself. I showed in a previous thread how he had worn off all his secondaries and the tips of his primaries. I got to the bottom of the issue and believe it to be resolved now, but he is still dealing with the broken feathers until they molt out. He has barely enough to get himself airborne right now, and with how uneven they are his control leaves a lot to be desired. I'm worried he might hurt himself with his efforts to fly, and at this point I don't know if clipping these tatters will help or make the problem worse.

Under these conditions, can I get a some opinions, please?

Again, know that I would never support or consider clipping under any normal circumstances, and certainly not a passerine, but... well, see for yourself.
P1130846.JPG P1130848.JPG

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know it sounds odd but I am wondering if it would be helpful to just do the same sort of damage to the same feathers on the other side so they are more even giving a more control flight for Marii.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I know it sounds odd but I am wondering if it would be helpful to just do the same sort of damage to the same feathers on the other side so they are more even giving a more control flight for Marii.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. It might be worth a shot. :chin:

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I'm not to keen on the idea.. how short?

With Loki the feathers on his left wing keep breaking at the base :(. I think it' because they don't have the support and protection of the surrounding old feathers and because he is able to preen off the keratine sheath too early.

Could you maybe try imping first?

I would likely wait it out, lower the perches/playstands and carpet up the place..

But then again those aren't primaries.. idk.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good luck!