• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipped wings

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
I just got a Parrotlet that was shipped to me. I asked the breeder to trim his wings so I could hand tame him. My vet once trimmed a birds wings but just enough that she could still fly a bit. This little guy has such short wings he can't fly at all. I haven't taken him out of the cage yet. Does anyone have any advice?
Will his wings grow back?

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
I just got a parrotlet and his wings are clipped short. I'm worried about him as he cannot fly at all. Have not taken him out of cage yet. Does anyone have advice?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
1. Yes the wings will grow back once they have completed 1-2 molts and shed the clipped feathers. Depending on when the flights last molted, you are looking at 6-12 months before he can fly.

2. Clipping does not help taming :)

3. For my linnie who was also really clipped when I got him, I made sure to get him a large cage and filled it with perches so he could climb a lot. He's also untame so I interacted with him only through the bars for like a month. Now that he's more comfortable here, I have been letting him out of the cage more; if you can, put some stuff near the cage he can climb on so he doesn't try to fly off. Consider putting some towels or blankets around the floor of his cage in case he does try; if he falls from up high, he can hurt himself.

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
Thank you~I guess I will leave him in the cage for several days so he can get used to new environment. Poor little guy. Thanks for telling me what you did for your Linnie. I was thinking in a few days, I would take him out to walk around on my bed. He's been staying in one spot in his cage:(

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thank you~I guess I will leave him in the cage for several days so he can get used to new environment. Poor little guy. Thanks for telling me what you did for your Linnie. I was thinking in a few days, I would take him out to walk around on my bed. He's been staying in one spot in his cage:(
Poor thing - bet he'll be glad to fly again in the future.

Be careful if you have any type of blanket or bedspread that his nails could get hung on. Years ago Lucybird got her nail tangled in a sweater that I was wearing and before I could get it unstuck, I thought she'd pull her poor leg off trying to get away! UGH!

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
Very good point---that is the last thing he needs:( Thank you