• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipped Wings

Mango5

Moving in
Real Name
Ajmal Niazi
Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum and I don’t know where exactly to post this question so I’m sorry if it’s in the wrong spot. I have owned a lovebird named Mango for 1 year now and everything with me and him are completely fine. My friend got a cockatiel today and his wings where clipped, I’m just asking if there is anything you can do to “un-clip” the wings, like is there anyway for them to grow back. Can a vet fix them or is there a home fix because my friend wants the bird to fly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The bird will molt the flight feathers over the next 6 to 18 months, and they will be replaced by new, uncut feathers. :)

Mango5

Moving in
Real Name
Ajmal Niazi
The bird will molt the flight feathers over the next 6 to 18 months, and they will be replaced by new, uncut feathers. :)
For real, that’s great new! Will the bird be able to fly once this happens? Or will it struggle because it doesn’t know how from past experience?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it was able to fly before it was clipped it should be back in the air in no time at all. If it was clipped before fledging then it may take some time to learn how to fly and what to do with them wings. Some birds who were clipped before learning to fly never learn and some do.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As long as the bird was allowed to fledge properly, it should be able to fly. But, as it takes time to get enough flight feathers to start again, some birds just get used to not flying and choose other ways of getting around. Most young birds though I think will recover