• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

clipped wings

what gender is my budgie?

• male

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • female

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
how can you tell your budgies wings are clipped? i just got my budgie yesterday and i want to make sure that it will be okay if i let it out.

also i was wondering if someone could maybe gender my bird for me? it is a baby. its cere is white around the nostrils, but bluish-purple around the rest. starburst.jpg

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Adorable budgie!!! Congratulations!! well budgies can learn to fly if their wings are clipped and they grow back. Altho my budgie had her wings clipped when she was young and now she can't fly. altho i think there might be something else wrong with her wings too. can you post a side view photo of your budgie?

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
she/he was sitting like that when we first got them, they were scared but they're alright now :)

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
So whats your budgies name? Or are you going to wait till its cere matures? It should b ok to let out of the cage. just bird proof the room first! If it can't fly then you should soon find out. If you need help on teaching a budgie to fly then there are some good threads that will tell you all about that. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you know how old your budgie is? Also, if her wings are clipped, I would encourage you considering letting her wings grow out. I think it's better for a bird's mental and physical well being to be flighted.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Do you know how old your budgie is? Also, if her wings are clipped, I would encourage you considering letting her wings grow out. I think it's better for a bird's mental and physical well being to be flighted.
yes that is definitely true! plus, birds are made to fly!

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
yes i want my bird to fly and be happy for sure! thank you! also its a baby, maybe 6 months or more? i'm not quite sure.
Does anyone know the gender? he/she is asleep right now but I can post another photo later if that would be more helpful, but there is a lot of white around their cere and its purpleish blue the rest! Also my birds name is Starburst. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you have a girl if she is already 6 months:

With budgies, you get can make a reasonable judgment about sex based on the color of their ceres, the bulbous, fleshy area where the beak meets the head, but there are a lot of variables that can affect an accurate judgment.

• As a rule, an adult male budgie has a blue, sometimes purple-ish colored cere. The adult female will have a brown, crusty cere.
  • As juveniles, the male will sport a pink/purple cere . The female parakeet has a pink cere until 4 months of age, at which time it will turn into a white cere with varying amounts of blue. At around 8 months, each gender will have developed their adult cere coloring.
  • It is important to note, however, that both genders of the pastel budgies: the albino, lutino and pied mutations, can have pink or tan ceres, making it impossible to judge their sex in many cases.
  • Other characteristics that are not so visible to the average bird owner are the male’s more bulbous ceres and the female’s flatter head.
Behaviorally, it is far less reliable to make gender determinations:

• The young male parakeet performs a mating dance that has them scurrying along the length of their perch with a bobbing head. The males are the singers.
  • The female chatters more (but sings less), tends to be more aggressive and has a stronger bite.
However, none of these traits can absolutely determine gender. I knew a male that did not read the budgie behavior manual – he was territorial and yelled at the neighbors all day, a job usually reserved for the female. There are no guarantees.Parakeet Gender | How to Tell? | Birdtricks.com

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
well with my female budgie i knew right from the start! She always displayed behaviour of a female budgie, even tho a lot of people on here were telling me she was a boy! Altho in the end we all realized it was a girl as males don't have brown ceres!

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Starburst is adorable. :) I can't help with sexing but if you can give us a picture of the bird from behind (so that we can see what the wings look like when closed) we can try and help you figure out if they are clipped or not!

Either way, I think you should give your little one time to settle in before you let them roam around. If you are working on taming it can hinder your progress if you are forced to catch or chase your bird to get them back into their cage.

I would give them time to settle then work on training them to step onto a stick so that you have a way to move them from place to place even if they are not yet hand-tame.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Starburst is adorable. :) I can't help with sexing but if you can give us a picture of the bird from behind (so that we can see what the wings look like when closed) we can try and help you figure out if they are clipped or not!

Either way, I think you should give your little one time to settle in before you let them roam around. If you are working on taming it can hinder your progress if you are forced to catch or chase your bird to get them back into their cage.

I would give them time to settle then work on training them to step onto a stick so that you have a way to move them from place to place even if they are not yet hand-tame.
oh true! I never thought of that-using a stick! My budgies are in an aviary so i never had to take them out of their cage!