• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

clipped wings

what gender is my budgie?

• male

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • female

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
i have posted some threads about this. if you go on my profile and find all threads by sky&sunshine you should find: Wings been clipped? How do i teach my budgie to fly?, and Why can't my budgie fly?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
It doesn't look like your bird's clip is very severe. It could still be that she is able to fly or glide, just not gain height.

Given your bird is older there is a good chance she was clipped AFTER she fledged and learned how to fly. She may need to practice when her wings grow out, but I wouldn't worry too much about it now. She will need to regrow her feathers before you start anything anyways.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Female and she should be able to fly "ok". Not great, but "ok". As she builds up flight muscles and grow out her clipped flights, she should be able to fly just fine, with practice!

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
how can you tell your budgies wings are clipped? i just got my budgie yesterday and i want to make sure that it will be okay if i let it out.

also i was wondering if someone could maybe gender my bird for me? it is a baby. its cere is white around the nostrils, but bluish-purple around the rest. View attachment 241585

As Calpurnia said I would give your new bird a few weeks to settle in before trying to get her to come out on her own.
I wouldn't advise just opening the cage door and letting her run a muck though. I would begin clicker training as early as you're comfortable with it. Start with target training and getting her to step up on command. Having a hand tame budgie out and about is easier than having to towel it to put it back into its cage - which can ruin a bird's trust in you depending on the bird's background and how long you've had it.

So whats your budgies name? Or are you going to wait till its cere matures? It should b ok to let out of the cage. just bird proof the room first! If it can't fly then you should soon find out. If you need help on teaching a budgie to fly then there are some good threads that will tell you all about that. :)
It's in your bird's best interest to slowly be introduced to flying around the room (but it is best to budgie proof it first), because too much at once can stress your new baby out. I would recommend training! (I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record.)

Do you know how old your budgie is? Also, if her wings are clipped, I would encourage you considering letting her wings grow out. I think it's better for a bird's mental and physical well being to be flighted.
This is true as well.

well with my female budgie i knew right from the start! She always displayed behaviour of a female budgie, even tho a lot of people on here were telling me she was a boy! Altho in the end we all realized it was a girl as males don't have brown ceres!
There aren't really any behaviors that are specific to any gender of budgie. I've seen Jersey (my only hen) do the head bob dance, and she one of the most vocal ones. Just letting you know that deciding a gender based on behavior isn't really a good way to know for sure one way or another.

Starburst is adorable. :) I can't help with sexing but if you can give us a picture of the bird from behind (so that we can see what the wings look like when closed) we can try and help you figure out if they are clipped or not!

Either way, I think you should give your little one time to settle in before you let them roam around. If you are working on taming it can hinder your progress if you are forced to catch or chase your bird to get them back into their cage.

I would give them time to settle then work on training them to step onto a stick so that you have a way to move them from place to place even if they are not yet hand-tame.

Once again Calpurnia reads my mind! :D

is there any way i could teach my budgie to fly?
If you brought your budgie home from a pet store like P***o or P*****t then your budgie already knows how to fly. Those stores don't get the budgies until they're around four months old, and they're clipped right before they leave the breeder (or I guess I should say supplier). So there's a good chance your budgie knows how to fly, Starburst just hasn't had much practice.

It doesn't look like your bird's clip is very severe. It could still be that she is able to fly or glide, just not gain height.

Given your bird is older there is a good chance she was clipped AFTER she fledged and learned how to fly. She may need to practice when her wings grow out, but I wouldn't worry too much about it now. She will need to regrow her feathers before you start anything anyways.

Calpurnia is a psychic. It's confirmed haha.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Clipped but not much.
You can normally see the outer 7 primaries when the wings are folded. Looks like she has only the 3 outermost primaries clipped, so she should still be able to fly a bit - just not as well as a full flighted budgie. If she hasn't been let out to fly, she might need a bit of practice, but will probably figure out how to fly around fairly well.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
As Calpurnia said I would give your new bird a few weeks to settle in before trying to get her to come out on her own.
I wouldn't advise just opening the cage door and letting her run a muck though. I would begin clicker training as early as you're comfortable with it. Start with target training and getting her to step up on command. Having a hand tame budgie out and about is easier than having to towel it to put it back into its cage - which can ruin a bird's trust in you depending on the bird's background and how long you've had it.

It's in your bird's best interest to slowly be introduced to flying around the room (but it is best to budgie proof it first), because too much at once can stress your new baby out. I would recommend training! (I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record.)

This is true as well.

There aren't really any behaviors that are specific to any gender of budgie. I've seen Jersey (my only hen) do the head bob dance, and she one of the most vocal ones. Just letting you know that deciding a gender based on behavior isn't really a good way to know for sure one way or another.

Once again Calpurnia reads my mind! :D

If you brought your budgie home from a pet store like P***o or P*****t then your budgie already knows how to fly. Those stores don't get the budgies until they're around four months old, and they're clipped right before they leave the breeder (or I guess I should say supplier). So there's a good chance your budgie knows how to fly, Starburst just hasn't had much practice.

Calpurnia is a psychic. It's confirmed haha.
As you can see i am no expert and have no experience with caged birds! lol I have to agree with Reggie.

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
is there any way that how the bird acts that will help me define its gender? like how females and males act, etc. also, is anyone positive that it is a female?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the cere was *really* pink or blue, I would say you have a male!

The cere appears more "white" with hints of blue... indicating female.

Females tend to be moodier (aka more 'aggressive'), and they don't sing. They'll chirp, but not sing. Males tend to be friendlier and more vocal, with more vocalizations.

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
If the cere was *really* pink or blue, I would say you have a male!

The cere appears more "white" with hints of blue... indicating female.

Females tend to be moodier (aka more 'aggressive'), and they don't sing. They'll chirp, but not sing. Males tend to be friendlier and more vocal, with more vocalizations.
thank you :) everyone on here is so helpful!!

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
View attachment 241982
There are many different ways to identify a budgies' gender. One common way is to look at the color of the nose. Males tend to have more of a blue smooth nose while females have a pink/purple/whitish coloration. But another way to be sure of a budgies gender is to check their vent (refer to the Budgie Anatomy picture). Located a a little bit above the buttyhole XD, you should feel two little "circles" or "nubs." The further the "nubs" are away from each other, its a female. If the "nubs" are closer to each other its a male.
Fun Fact: The "nubs" are further for a female because the female needs room to push her eggs.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Looks like she is clipped but they can still fly a bit even with clipped wings. Depends on the severity.

Probably a female but another sere pic might help as I dont see it as very purplish blue.
Looks pretty young & 6 months could be about right though looks a bit younger.