• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipped wings not growing back...

cucu

Sitting on the front steps
Hey guys!

I had brought a cockatiel home 2 months back and his wings were clipped just a day before we got her home (according to the shopkeeper). It has now been2 months and I dont see any progress her wings growing back.
When I had got my first cockatiel, she too had her wings clipped but they grew back within 2 months.

I dont really enjoy seeing him flapping his wings trying to fly when the female flies around

Any idea when his wings are gonna grow back?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they are a baby, it can take 6 to 18 months in my experience for them to regain flight.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Woah! That's a long time!
Yep :) Both my green cheek that I got at 10 months and my quaker that I got at 3 months were unable to fly until after they were a year old. My quaker was 15 months I believe.

cucu

Sitting on the front steps
I guess my first cockatiel had her wings grow back in 2 months that's why I expected my new cockatiels to grow too
I believe i still have to wait for months, so let's enjoy that way :laughing2:

Thank you all for your replies

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I believe cockatiels go through their first molt at 6-12 months old. Once you start noticing a reasonable loss of feathers on the bottom of the cage, it'll take 1-2 weeks for new feathers to pop out, and then 8 or 9 weeks for those feathers to fully grow in.
When I got my parrotlet a month and a half ago his wings were clipped, but since they go through their first molt at 4-6 months old he is already regaining his flight.

truenorth

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Newman
It's a vicious cycle when the wings are clipped too short. Our 8 month old male lands on his rump which then continues to break off the tail feathers, leaving new flight feathers more exposed to breakage, which then exposes the tail feathers, and on and on. We have to keep the bird on low perches outside the cage to prevent further falls.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i’ll also add that my lovebird was given an absolutely horrible clip, with pretty much all his wing feathers cut. it was also uneven, one wing being shorter than the other. honestly the person clipping his wings was probably half-asleep when they did it. that most likely had an impact on his feather growth too.