• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipped tiel!!!!

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
I didn’t know where to put this so i put it here. This is more of a rant because it was so bad to watch as a bird owner. A little girl (probably like 6-10 y/o) took her tiel to best buy I noticed him and he is ADORABLE so i tell her “oh yeah he’s so cute”. and as i’m talking i notice that his wings are clipped and he wasn’t on a harness or anything! i didn’t say anything about it because i feel that it’s not really my place and the girl was very young. If you don’t know what i mean... PSA: do NOT clip your birds as a mean of taking it out. one day they will get scared or a wind will throw off their balance and they can and will fly away. i hope that tiel never flies away because she might not know better and she seems like she loves him (otherwise she wouldn’t take him to best buy lol)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i didn’t say anything about it because i feel that it’s not really my place and the girl was very young.
You could have advised the parents. Some bird owners just don´t know that a clipped bird could ever fly away.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Actually, it IS your place to teach those less knowledable :) we are the “smart” speacies, we have a responsibility to the others. And if you dont know how to speak to a child (i know i dont) then you can talk to the parrents, educate them in good bird ownership :)

I’m not a very “human friendly” guy, but whenever i see something wrong with animals i know about, i try to teach better :) be it parrots, dogs, or whatever.

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
@Zara @jh81 yeah i’m not exactly “human friendly” either and i felt really inclined to tell them... but the store was closing in like 15 minutes and we had to get what we needed fast, and i have social anxiety so i REALLY did not feel comfortable telling these people that they were doing something wrong. (and after i stopped them i noticed that the mom was not wearing a mask so i kinda wanted to leave like FAST lol). how could i have told them about it in the like nicest way i can?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Oh no, im not blaming you or anything ;-) just making sure you know you where in your right :)

ell.. i have a “fight dog” so i deal a lot with ignorant people.. i always try to start with a joke, or channeling their behaviour, so they can see how they behave. Like showing them a mirror. So far it works :)

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
@jh81 yeah maybe if i see something like that again i’ll be able to say something. :)

sort of related; i’m working on collecting evidence for a really horrible bird place that me and my friend hope to get an investigation for.

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Those people—
Maybe they’re just misinformed. If they’re doing that for money knowing the reasons why it’s terrible....:bash::tntrnm::cry:

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Maybe they’re just misinformed. If they’re doing that for money knowing the reasons why it’s terrible....:bash::tntrnm::cry:
I was miss informed but then did research and learned a lot along the way and every one here was able to help not just me but others who come along....

The fact that they "should" know better is sad when you see "professional" bird sellers doing this... Its outraging to say the least.

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
here is the email that my friend got back after asking for pictures of birds... 8C46BAFD-C2ED-47B4-B98F-185F557BD686.jpeg

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Truth be told, these days there are pellets for just about any bird species.

i have pellets for my parrots, seed eaters, and those that eat fruits etc. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i’m working on collecting evidence for a really horrible bird place that me and my friend hope to get an investigation for.
place seemed fishy but then i saw these photos from a tab on their site called “bird shows”...
this is an online shop (idk where it’s based) and they claim that they can send birds anywhere in the US.
Are you sure this is a real store?
You said yourself the place seemed ¨fishy¨. A scammer could have easily picked up pictures like that from a shelter or rescue attending a hording situation.
Just a thought.