• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipped now, want her fully flighted

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I got a cockatiel that was already clipped. The breeder cut 10 flight feathers from each side, so it is 20 flight feathers! I usually hear people normally trim/cut 3 or 4 flight feathers from each side. Total of 20 seems too much. One day, she fell from my hand while she was flapping/ exercising her wings. She landed on the door mat, but the impact of a fall actually cut her blow chest. The cut was one inch deep. So extra be careful with the clipped bird.

SgtNikola

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
Put some ladders up, I pulled off the front of her seed catcher and moved some perches around in her cage. Also, added ladder to help her get across to her play stands on top of the bookshelf.
I let her lead me around the house this morning... she decided sitting on my finger wasn't good enough and wound up on my chest. We still got around pretty well, explored the majority of the house, she seemed very interested in finding all the new views available from the different windows in our house. And got me close enough to the kitchen for her to hop off and try to steal grapes from the fruit bowl... I let her keep 2.
I’ll keep working with her, and adding on more independent ways for her to navigate our room. Thank you for all of the tips!

Attachments

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You are a awesome parront! ♥
That looks really good. :)

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
I would recommend playing the knocking or tapping game on windows and mirrors, introducing the fact that they are solid in this part and that corner and this bit over here too over repeated casual games of “I knock it x times, you knock it y times!” If tapping glass doesn’t have her immediately doing so you can tap it a couple of times then gently touch her beak to it and praise tons, repeat. Play game frequently to begin with but never really stop - you can also move it onto tapping new objects as a mode of introduction if you like! She sounds sassy and like she would love this game :) Then, no need to ever cover anything! I’ve had many good flights in dance studios and been glad for dry bird tongues given all the mirror-licking that went on between tapping, ha. Panic flights are unpredictable though and a wall can be as bad as a window at times. Risk can never be eliminated, but flight is one of the joys in life :heart: