• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipped feathers wont grow back

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
This is Anika. I bought her clipped in mid-january. I've been waiting and hoping her wings would regrow these past 5 months, but not a single feather. Every other cockatiel I know regrew their flight feathers in a matter of weeks. Because she cant fly, she's clumsy and broke off all her tail feathers. Is it normal she still hasn't regrow them, or should I worry? I feel horrible for her as she watches all my other birds fly. She also often falls on the ground and ends up stuck.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can take 6 to 18 months for birds to regrow enough flight feathers to regain flight. This is dependent on a lot of factors - if she was just clipped before you brought her home, for instance, that means you are waiting longer than if it had been a few months. They won't drop and replace all their flight feathers at once, and will only do a a couple sets at a time. Diet can also be a factor; a bird that is on a nutrient poor diet may molt less than a bird who has a nutrient rich diet. The body doesn't want to waste resources if it doesn't think it has any to spare!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
There is also a young bird phase where they are clumsy and break a lot of feathers while learning to fly in our houses. Both my birds were tailless until they got the hang of it.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How is Anika now?