• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Clip wings on sun conure?

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
Sunny, my 12 week old Sun Conure flies all around the house. I trimmed her flight feathers just a bit so my parents could leave me alone about it, but she still flies high and fast.

Our last bird escaped and everyone in the house is afraid she will too.

My Sunny still acts like a baby, she refuses to eat solid foods (just soaked pellets) and barely manages to eat seeds. I don't know what to do since she doesn't even seem to be interested in training.

What should I do!?
IMG-20201023-WA0023.jpeg
20201025_114459.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is totally normal for her to not be totally weaned at 12 weeks :) Food is more than food... It's comfort, love, and confidence :heart2:

Birds should be allowed to fly. I've also lost a bird outside (she flew through a hole in the screen) and still won't clip. A clipped bird can still fly away! The answer is making the environment safe for the bird.

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
It is totally normal for her to not be totally weaned at 12 weeks :) Food is more than food... It's comfort, love, and confidence :heart2:

Birds should be allowed to fly. I've also lost a bird outside (she flew through a hole in the screen) and still won't clip. A clipped bird can still fly away! The answer is making the environment safe for the bird.
Thanks! Our house is small and the door is next to where she loves to perch, so at this point I don't know what to do

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks! Our house is small and the door is next to where she loves to perch, so at this point I don't know what to do
This may help:

What is next to the door that she likes to perch on? Can it be moved or a better perch be last elsewhere ?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Don't change the bird to suit the environment. Change the environment to suit the bird.

My first step would be to stop letting her fly all around the house and instead make sure she can't easily access rooms that inherently aren't safe, such as the one with the door to the outside. It doesn't really matter how much she likes to perch near the door. That's risky even if she were clipped, and she can find a new favorite place.

Then bird proof the areas she's allowed in. Hang baffles where they're needed (in front of windows, blocking off surfaces you don't want her to land on, etc). Some people use ribbons. I use clear shower curtains. The mesh screens Mizzely linked would be a good option to keep her to specific parts of the house. Whatever works.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
You have a beautiful conure! :loveshower:

I agree with everyone else, birds should be allowed to fly as a way of exercise as well. Just be careful when opening doors or windows so she doesn't have the chance to escape.

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
This may help:

What is next to the door that she likes to perch on? Can it be moved or a better perch be last elsewhere ?
The couch and window curtains are there. When she's not standing in the tallest part of the couch she's perching on the curtain rod. Our house is very small and I don't have another space to let her be free. If I leave her in my room she'll poop the bed and basically everywhere lol I'll check it out!! That mesh door looks great!

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
Don't change the bird to suit the environment. Change the environment to suit the bird.

My first step would be to stop letting her fly all around the house and instead make sure she can't easily access rooms that inherently aren't safe, such as the one with the door to the outside. It doesn't really matter how much she likes to perch near the door. That's risky even if she were clipped, and she can find a new favorite place.

Then bird proof the areas she's allowed in. Hang baffles where they're needed (in front of windows, blocking off surfaces you don't want her to land on, etc). Some people use ribbons. I use clear shower curtains. The mesh screens Mizzely linked would be a good option to keep her to specific parts of the house. Whatever works.
My family doesn't understand that unfortunately her wings were clipped a bit. The first 4 flight wings I think and she still flies but it's harder for her, I can tell. And I'm heartbroken I feel so guilty for letting that happen