• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clinginess/Encouraging Independence

atb87

Moving in
I have two GCCs. Both less than 2 years old. The male Loki has been with me since he was 4 months. He is bonded with me and my GF. No issues with him. I got Luna about 6 months after Loki. She is a rehome and she was completely untamed when I got her. Luckily birds get along. They preen each other all day. She had an unfortunate incident where she flew into my window during Thanksgiving. (She lost her balance for awhile, she couldn't walk etc.) During this process she was clipped based on vet recommendation. Her wings are growing and she has recently started to fly. I made soooo much effort with her to feel safe but she still feels scared most of the time. All she wants to do is to get near Loki. (they are caged separately) She leaves her cage, but usually stays on the top of her cage. She barely walks to the couch which is right next to the cage. I can only lure her with treats but she usually takes a bit and climbs to her cage. She steps up and when the room is dark she snuggles with me or my hand. So, there is some trust. However, when Loki flies to another room she goes on non-stop flock call even when we're in the same room with her. She is very clingy to Loki. How can I encourage her to be a bit more independent? I feel like her anxiety will decrease somewhat when she starts to fly confidently. Do you have any tips in gaining her trust in the presence of another bird? Right now, Loki sees us as his flock but not Luna. I appreciate your help.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I have two GCCs. Both less than 2 years old. The male Loki has been with me since he was 4 months. He is bonded with me and my GF. No issues with him. I got Luna about 6 months after Loki. She is a rehome and she was completely untamed when I got her. Luckily birds get along. They preen each other all day. She had an unfortunate incident where she flew into my window during Thanksgiving. (She lost her balance for awhile, she couldn't walk etc.) During this process she was clipped based on vet recommendation. Her wings are growing and she has recently started to fly. I made soooo much effort with her to feel safe but she still feels scared most of the time. All she wants to do is to get near Loki. (they are caged separately) She leaves her cage, but usually stays on the top of her cage. She barely walks to the couch which is right next to the cage. I can only lure her with treats but she usually takes a bit and climbs to her cage. She steps up and when the room is dark she snuggles with me or my hand. So, there is some trust. However, when Loki flies to another room she goes on non-stop flock call even when we're in the same room with her. She is very clingy to Loki. How can I encourage her to be a bit more independent? I feel like her anxiety will decrease somewhat when she starts to fly confidently. Do you have any tips in gaining her trust in the presence of another bird? Right now, Loki sees us as his flock but not Luna. I appreciate your help.
What kind of toys does Luna have outside of the cage? When she is in her cage sit by her and just talk or read to her. That will help her to get more comfortable with you and will help in building a relationship with you. If you don’t clicker or station train I would try to work on that as well. When both birds are out I would try to get them both interested in something like a foraging tray or toys. If Loki flies away try redirecting Luna to a tray, toys, a play stand, or treats before the flock calling starts. You don’t want to reward screaming so work on redirection before the calling starts. You will need to make it fun for Luna so that she wants to be around you guys as much as she wants to be around Loki.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My situation is quite similar with one of my conures being quite happy to climb all over me and my wife she will step up and engages with us a lot, they both enjoy spending time with each other and love preening each other.
I got Mojo first and KiKI 3 months later she was a extremely nervous bird when i got her and to a degree she still is however things have improved a lot whilst she doesnt step up she will now fly to me and will spend time sitting on my arm with Mojo preening and getting preened she has been with us about 9 months now this is how i approached things with her.

. Whilst i was qt'ing her i used to just sit in the room talking to her allowing her to get used to me
. when she moved downstairs to be with Mojo i started doing target training her whilst she was in her cage through the cage bars first targeting her around her cage through the bars and then through the cage door.
. I then worked on stepping up with her with no real success this is something i have done intermitently since however i dont really bother now i just leave her to do her thing if she want's to come to us she will do now.

We have toys and foraging boxes on top of the girls cages have a couple of java tress that contain toys and we have a coffee table directly in front of us with a foraging box on so there are multiple places she can visit to play or just chill out.

Be mindfull your bird has had a accident as well and was subsequently clipped i would think that once her flights grow out you will see a change in her once she is able to fly about, Just keep what you are doing and be patient and over time i am sure you will see a change in Luna.