• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicking without treats?

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Ive been wanting to try some clicker training but our Goffins, Kiwi, is about the pickiest thing I've ever met when it comes to food. Just getting her to eat a balanced diet has been an uphill struggle and she has no interest in any sort of treat, in all honesty getting her to EAT a treat would probably take training of it's own... ironic, I know. ANYHOO she does quite enjoy when she gets praised and fussed over. Is this something I could use as a reward regularly or will she get tired of just that again and again? Are there other rewards I can use? Does anyone have some suggestions for picky bird treats?

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Hmmm I would be interested in what people come up with. I also have one of the pickiest birds in the universe lol. He's getting better though. But driving me :leslieatwork:haha!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A reward is anything with value. For my green cheek it was a foot toy, for Jingo food, for Ripley it is a head scratch. Whatever is given as a value, the clicker is merely the bridge between the action and the reward.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Praise works wonders for Echo. And it what I use when trying to change behavior or teach him something. I haven't been to successful training for tricks (thou I have try too much) but changing negative behavior praise works phenomenally well for me.

I'm curious what our resident parrot trainer as to say @Macawnutz what's your experience been?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Kailua wasn't treat motivated in the beginning but she did love my high pitch baby talk!

I don't use a clicker for that exact reason, I have many degrees of praise with just my voice. :D
Since I have an actual show I use "yays" "clapping" "excited sounds" for reward along with treats. It works just as well.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Kailua wasn't treat motivated in the beginning but she did love my high pitch baby talk!

I don't use a clicker for that exact reason, I have many degrees of praise with just my voice. :D
Since I have an actual show I use "yays" "clapping" "excited sounds" for reward along with treats. It works just as well.
My Freddy likes it when I cheer him on...the "yays" in particular he loves, and reacts to. The one trick I taught him was scarey bird. He puts up his crest spreads his wings and screeches. Sometimes he does it because he knows he gets a treat lol. Tonight I got him to bed early. He was a snappy thing...snappy and hissy!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt will settle for either one of his favorite foods or high pitched praise for a reward. He enjoys both so I can use either with him. Sometimes he seems to take my laugh as praise also.

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
So we've found a treat the Kiwi likes (sunflower seeds) and shes really enjoying clicker training! We've made leaps and bounds with the target stick (which, may I add, is in a color that she doesnt like) and she thinks it's funny to pretend she doesnt care, but ultimately ends up caring. I have one more question though: do I now have to click everytime I give her a treat? She gets an avicake type of treat twice a day (which i dont click for because we dont train with them and i think of them more as a snack than a treat) but when shes being exceptionally good or, say, sits through a bath without trying to kill anybody, I want to reward her with her favorite. I know it's important to treat with every click but will I need to have the clicker with me anytime she does something that warrants a treat?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No need to click for just wanting to treat for no reason. The click is to signal the exact moment that the bird has done what you want so they understand what the treat is being given for, the click is not a signal that they are getting a treat. Does that make sense?

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
No need to click for just wanting to treat for no reason. The click is to signal the exact moment that the bird has done what you want so they understand what the treat is being given for, the click is not a signal that they are getting a treat. Does that make sense?
Yes! That was kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to double check so I didnt accidentally confuse her and mess up what we've done so far. Thank you so much.