• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker training

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco has been with me, for 3 years in March 2022. I have tried everything to get him to stop shaking and being fearful.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
It was an interesting book, enjoy!
I will say that I have a Hahn's Macaw and they are usually sentinals in mixed flocks in the wild.
Jimi came to me from the breeder so I'm his only home. He would alarm call at many things, constantly. So I decided to teach him. Some things I decided were not scary and I would talk in a silly voice about them, like birds outside or changing piles of books by the chair, or pots in the kitchen that moved locations day to day. Other things I decided were scary (meaning an alarm call about them would be useful to me) so I'd growl and call at deer and elk and the FedEx truck.
I think since his BirdMom never had the chance to teach him, I had to tell him some things that were bad so he didn't have to worry about everything.
Worked pretty well, although he decided on his own that gnats on the ceiling must have someone (me) deal with them immediately.
I read the article, I thought the book was more for clicker training dogs. Is about birds too?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I read the article, I thought the book was more for clicker training dogs. Is about birds too?
been awhile since I read it as I got it from the library
but I did buy my own copy when I originally posted that it was on sale so I could read it again.
As I recall the info was applicable to all animals. Clicker training is used from goldfish to birds to elephants.

Mrs c

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diana
been awhile since I read it as I got it from the library
but I did buy my own copy when I originally posted that it was on sale so I could read it again.
As I recall the info was applicable to all animals. Clicker training is used from goldfish to birds to elephants.
:yes3:
I've put it on my Xmas pressie list.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
LOL at goldfish, I'll have to look into it.