• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker Training Tweedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sland165

Walking the driveway
I figured getting a few small sessions in per day with him would help out maybe. He was not a "tamed" guy when we got him. Very fearful and bitey so to speak. Maybe I will try slowing them down and see if he seems to be more receptive of the training. I have never clicker trained before so this is new to me lol.

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
Hi,

Our Severe Macaw Buddy was an adoption and very bitey. It took time before he got adjusted to us. Over time he really warmed up to us. We found the trick training really got his self esteem up.

How old is your Severe Macaw? How long have you had your Severe Macaw?

We also found out that Severe Macaws are very defensive of their cage. We found this out because we saw 2 severe Macaws in a cage together at someone's house and they did the same thing Buddy was doing. They do not like anybody sticking their hands near their cage.....they actually come at you to bite you......Buddy always did this.....we thought it was just Buddy

Ann

sland165

Walking the driveway
Tweedy is said to be 18 months old, and I have had him for a week now. He doesnt seem to be too cage territorial. I can pet him on his belly and feet with the occasional beak touch, he still would like a taste though lol.

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
Awwwww...Tweedy sounds like a sweetheart.

That is so good that you are trying clicker training......it is so good to start at an early age.

We adopted Buddy when he was three years old.....He will be twelve in August.

Ann

sland165

Walking the driveway
So we skipped clickering today, and he was very receptive of me petting him on his head and under his wings, I even got him to step up onto my arm off his cage, first time for that. I went to put him on his playstand from my arm and he didn't want to, so taking safety because it looked like he wanted to grab my arm to stay on, I put him back on top of his cage. Tomorrow we will do two sessions and go from there.

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
Sounds good!!!!

Buddy loves to be petted on the head.........We learned the hard way with our Cockatoo Marshmellow.......we used to pet her under her wings and we found out later that is not good idea........a parrot behaviorist told us that this is not good to pet under the wings.....it is too sexual for them later on as they get older....Marshmellow just turned twenty years old.....so this was a long time ago...don't want to preach but it caused many bites because we petted under the wings

We found out with all our birds.....that petting on top of the head is what they love most anyway

Ann

sland165

Walking the driveway
So we took a two day break and today we did two sessions. He was much more receptive of the target and was happy to do it. I think imma do it every other day two sessions a day and see where we go from there.

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
That's good to hear......are you just doing clicker training or is there a trick involved also?

I am so glad Tweedy is responding.....Severe Macaws are great birds.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That is a good idea to adjust your training schedule to meet the individual learner's needs.

So we took a two day break and today we did two sessions. He was much more receptive of the target and was happy to do it. I think imma do it every other day two sessions a day and see where we go from there.

sland165

Walking the driveway
I am getting him to nibble the target stick at the moment, he is doing very well on stepping up off of his cage onto my hand now, which is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.