• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker Training Tweedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sland165

Walking the driveway
Well it is day two, and we are up to step 4. I get him to the target even walk about 6 inches to get there. He is being very gentle when receiving his treat. It is going to be a work in progress for sure, but I am very happy with the results so far. He seems anxious when he is done his treat for the next, so that is a good sign. We are going to do about 4 sessions a day, 8 treats seems to be his limit so we do 5 at a time. I hope this will help him bond with me as well and be a kind gentle bird I know he can be.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
yay!! i hope to start clicker training my fid soon. keep us updated!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
This is so great! I love that he is excited for the next approach and that he is following the target. That is awesome. All of these little sessions are making your relationship stronger and stronger.

Well it is day two, and we are up to step 4. I get him to the target even walk about 6 inches to get there. He is being very gentle when receiving his treat. It is going to be a work in progress for sure, but I am very happy with the results so far. He seems anxious when he is done his treat for the next, so that is a good sign. We are going to do about 4 sessions a day, 8 treats seems to be his limit so we do 5 at a time. I hope this will help him bond with me as well and be a kind gentle bird I know he can be.

sland165

Walking the driveway
So we were just doing a session, and he did this very strange head bob up and down very rapidly while fluffing his feathers. Now none of my other macaws ever did this for me, it seems like regurgitation perhaps? I did some quick searching, found that mostly this is a way of bonding, if so that is great, but I am discouraging it and walking away when he does it, or should I use it to my advantage for a little bit? We need to keep working on the target though, the last one only lasted 4 treats. What do you think about the above though?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It could have just been a sign of arousal/excitement. In my bird, that would be arousal, but it could turn to regurgitation. Did anything come up, or did he just bob?

So we were just doing a session, and he did this very strange head bob up and down very rapidly while fluffing his feathers. Now none of my other macaws ever did this for me, it seems like regurgitation perhaps? I did some quick searching, found that mostly this is a way of bonding, if so that is great, but I am discouraging it and walking away when he does it, or should I use it to my advantage for a little bit? We need to keep working on the target though, the last one only lasted 4 treats. What do you think about the above though?

sland165

Walking the driveway
He just bobbed, feathers all fluffed up. I did not notice anything come up, although he was moving his tongue around. On our next session I will catch it on video, and post it up for critiques and maybe he will bob again.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn

Great job at recognizing his limit and keeping under it! It's so easy to want to keep going when they are working so well. You guys are doing great!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Okay, I would stop training just before or at the earliest signs of this behavior.

He just bobbed, feathers all fluffed up. I did not notice anything come up, although he was moving his tongue around. On our next session I will catch it on video, and post it up for critiques and maybe he will bob again.

sland165

Walking the driveway
Here is about a 7 min video of us and our last session. The volume was low but I gave a lot of verbal praise as well. He took his time eating too lol
[video]http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/sland165/?action=view&current=VIDEO0003.mp4[/video]

Let me know what you think and anything I should add or retract....criticism is necessary people :)

Last edited:

Giosmom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Okkkk so when I need clicker training pointers I'm coming to you! I tried it with my dog....and even spent tons of money on a dog trainer. Ever see the movie Marley and Me? Yeah that's my dog! LOL. When I get my Goffin I'm going to be clogging up the forum. But clicker training is something I reallly want to work on with my fid....congrats on the progress

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
What are your questions regarding clicker training.....how long per session....how is done...etc.....? We clicker train our birds

sland165

Walking the driveway
So today he seems to be kind of not wanting to do much. I did two sessions and he walked about 6-8'' for the target, and this time he wanted to bite it instead of just touch it. Maybe he is not in the mood. Any perfected techniques you have, how long to stay on one thing before moving to the next? I was thinking of using the clicker when I pet his beak to get him to realize he is good, what do you think on that? Do you have any videos of you guys training your birds?

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
Our severe macaw does the head bob....this is for affection......he is very happy when he does this.

Here is our Buddy (Our Severe Macaw) and Kiwi (Our DYH Amazon) on Animal Planet in 2010. It takes time for them to learn.......Buddy is our smartest bird out of all our birds....try to clicker train every other day....their attention span is very short

Ann

sland165

Walking the driveway
How many sessions per day do you suggest before calling it quits for the day? I have been doing three to four with 6-8 treats per session.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What is his treat? A reward during clicked training needs to be very small, bite size. Like a safflower or sunflower seed.:)

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
How many sessions per day do you suggest before calling it quits for the day? I have been doing three to four with 6-8 treats per session.
Buddy was trained to play basketball in about 3 to 4 sessions. Each session lasts 5 to 10 minutes. One session per week. His favorite treat is cashews. Why are you doing so many sessions per day? Buddy always learns faster when he knows he is having fun and I am having with him.

Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.