• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker Training For Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Lesson One - Re: Clicker Training For Beginners

Lesson 1

How clicker training works
In clicker training the click serves as a bridge between the behavior you want and the reinforcer. The click is a marker that marks the correct behavior. The reinforcer is going to be a food reward (more on that in just a minute). The click tells the animal "what you were doing when you heard the click was correct and I promise you that a food reward is on the way".

So, why not just reinforce, why do you need the clicker? The clicker allows you to mark or click behavior away from you. It gives you a moment to deliver the food after you click. It gives clearer, non emotional information to the animal. The click ALWAYS means a food reward, always, no exceptions. "Good boy", "Good girl", "Good bird" and other verbal praise or encouragement are fine, but they don't always lead to food, in fact, they may often lead to other things that the bird may or may not find reinforcing like petting or scritching. This is fine to use this in your training too because anything that the bird finds pleasant can be reinforcing but the click always equals a food reinforcer. Also, for many animals the clicker tells them it's training time and they are more likely to start working and offering behaviors.

Finding your birds reinforcers
While everyone is working on getting clickers, the first lesson will be to start testing reinforcers. The reinforcement will be food. You will need to test several different food items to figure out what works best for your bird. You want to find something the bird goes crazy for, not just eats. If your bird is not comfortable taking food from your hand, you can put a little dish in their cage or near them to drop the food into one reward at a time.

In my experience the small birds like budgies or cockatiels or bourkes like millet spray. You can use a spray of millet and just allow them a bite of millet per click. My Green Cheek Conure likes safflower seeds. This is the only time she gets them and they have proven to be her favorite. My amazon goes crazy for peanuts and sunflower seeds. To me peanuts are too large and fatty to use for training for him, so we use sunflower seeds and I save peanuts for specific training I am doing with locations.

The treat should be small enough so that the bird can eat it fairly quickly so that the training can have some momentum. The species and size of your bird will help to determine good things to test. Some ideas are millet, safflower seeds, sunflower seeds, almond slices, pine nuts, small bits of dried fruit like mango, papaya or banana. Just make sure that they are small. The seeds I use for training are not fed to my birds at any other time, they are strictly used for training and therefore limited and highly reinforcing.

Getting started
So, here is your assignment. Start trying different types of treats for your birds. Experiment and try several things. Keep notes of what they like the best. If your bird is fearful of hands, drop the treat in food cup. You can get a special little cup that signals training to the bird so that they understand to grab it and move on. This step in our training plan will actually take more time than you think because some birds will need to learn how to take the treats but that's ok, we have time:)

Once you have settled on your reinforcer I want you to experiment WITHOUT the bird around how you plan to hold and deliver your reinforcer. How will you hold it, how will you hand it to your bird or drop it into their cup? All of this needs to be ironed our BEFORE you bring the learner into the picture. If you don't have a clear idea of how things will go that will confuse the learner. It is our responsibility as trainers to have this worked out before we go into our training plan.

Ok, off you go! Please let me know if you have questions or need help. And, let me know when you all get clickers.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes I will join.
I had Newman doing it, but he would only do it if the environment was just so, the way he was shown the first time.
He liked it. He would touch his beak to a red Sharpie, but if it was a blue one, no way, if it was a pen, no way.

How we learn things the first time stays with us. And, the environment and other factors are important especially in the early stages of training:) Maybe we can get Newman back into the game.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
How do you recommend?

I want you to experiment WITHOUT the bird around how you plan to hold and deliver your reinforcer. How will you hold it, how will you hand it to your bird or drop it into their cup? All of this needs to be ironed our BEFORE you bring the learner into the picture. If you don't have a clear idea of how things will go that will confuse the learner. It is our responsibility as trainers to have this worked out before we go into our training plan.
Glad you explained when to click, I was clicking at the same time he would get the treat.

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
I am very interested in joining as well. How often will you post a new lesson so that I remember to check and keep up?

Thank you!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
The only thing Howard will work for is Cheetos and I need to find something healthier for him.
:hehe:

How we learn things the first time stays with us. And, the environment and other factors are important especially in the early stages of training:) Maybe we can get Newman back into the game.
I also made the mistake of training him on the back of a chair, the chair is curved so the stuff he would do had to accommodate slipping and sliding lol
When I pulled out the clicker and pen, he would go to the back of that chair :rolleyes:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am very interested in joining as well. How often will you post a new lesson so that I remember to check and keep up?

Thank you!
You can get email notification for this thread too.

ronsig

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
A good way to find your bird's favourite treat is to arrange several options on a plate. Then watch which one he picks first. Do that several times to see if there really is one favourite.
Once you have established the best treat...you remove it from the bird's diet and use it only for training. From now on he has to work for it.:hehe:

Sigrid

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
How do you recommend?

Glad you explained when to click, I was clicking at the same time he would get the treat.

It is critical that the click comes first with little or no body movement otherwise something else will be marking the behavior. I see a lot of people in dog classes move their hands to their bait bags before clicking not realizing that the movement has become the marker for the dog and they are marking the wrong thing. So, good work catching that!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Thank you!

I'm not sure because I am just seeing how it goes. I would imagine for the early steps probably just a day or two.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

:hehe:

I also made the mistake of training him on the back of a chair, the chair is curved so the stuff he would do had to accommodate slipping and sliding lol
When I pulled out the clicker and pen, he would go to the back of that chair :rolleyes:
Yes, it's good to generalize the clicking and treating to different locations early if you can so there is not too much generalization to the same spot:rolleyes:

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
For clicker training or targeting with Margo I used a long plastic ice cream scoop to offer the treat into for her. It was the only safe way to give her treats. I would do this with any macaw due to the extremely long upper beak. They are not known for their delicate touch in taking the food.

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have an old dog clicker, but it is really loud. I saw Karen Pryor's site has the volume control on her clicker. I was thinking of getting one, but wondered if there is anything else we're going to need. I saw mention of a target stick. Is this something we're going to need too? If so, I'd rather get it all at once, and save on extra shipping. Thanks.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Oooh, Vicki, thanks for the first lesson! Do you also advise I train one of the girls away from the other? Will you talk about training more than one?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
For clicker training or targeting with Margo I used a long plastic ice cream scoop to offer the treat into for her. It was the only safe way to give her treats. I would do this with any macaw due to the extremely long upper beak. They are not known for their delicate touch in taking the food.
Yes, you can get creative like this to deliver the food, as long as the click happens and then the food it's fine:) At the zoo we used carrot sticks for the aldabra tortoises and peanut butter mixed with water in syringes for the hogs. Sometimes you have to get creative to make the animal more comfortable or to make reinforcer delivery safe for the trainer.

I have an old dog clicker, but it is really loud. I saw Karen Pryor's site has the volume control on her clicker. I was thinking of getting one, but wondered if there is anything else we're going to need. I saw mention of a target stick. Is this something we're going to need too? If so, I'd rather get it all at once, and save on extra shipping. Thanks.
If it's very loud you might stick it in your pocket or sleeve to muffle the noise a little bit.

Oooh, Vicki, thanks for the first lesson! Do you also advise I train one of the girls away from the other? Will you talk about training more than one?
I would train them separately, one at a time. I do train mine in the same room but only the one I am training is out.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
A good way to find your bird's favourite treat is to arrange several options on a plate. Then watch which one he picks first. Do that several times to see if there really is one favourite.
Once you have established the best treat...you remove it from the bird's diet and use it only for training. From now on he has to work for it.:hehe:

Sigrid
That is a great idea as my lovies are seed junkies. They also wont come near us.

I have read you can use a chopstick, or even a toothpick for tiny birds. Its my guess you already have the target stick on hand.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
oh, I haven't gotten my clicker yet but I am reading right along with you. and will start when I get it. Thank you for this forum.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
For right now, you just need to start working on getting a clicker and finding out what treats are reinforcing to your bird. The only "thing" you need to get is a clicker, when we get to other props you will be able to use things around the house.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I'm hoping that when I get some millet sprays that Kiwi will be tempted to grab some even if I'm holding it.

Does anyone know of an online shop that offers sample packs of treats? I'd like to find something that Strawberry likes enough to take it from my hand. She is going to be a challenge since when out she wants just to hang out on my me and has little interest in taking treats. It could be just that I haven't found the right treat yet.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I tried it with Leila (GCC) this morning, the only food she'll take is sunflower seeds, she's scared of millet.

I can't get a clicker 'til Tuesday, shops is closed today and tomorrow is a public holiday, grr!

I did try with Emmit too this morning, I got him to touch the stick the rewarded him as soon as he done it (I used my mouth as the clicker lol), so I think he may be great to do clicker training with.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ok guys SLOW DOWN! We are not even close to actually training behaviors or working with the birds other than working on finding the rewards. No one should be targeting yet or even clicking yet. You really don't want to muddy the waters for the learner by moving too quickly. No one needs to worry about targets yet or "getting" the bird to do anything. Just work on finding your treats. That is the step we are on. We are going to do this correctly and one step at a time.

If your bird is scared of millet, I would leave a spray in with the bird for a couple of days so that they can get used to it and learn to love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.