• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker Training For Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I decided to start a class where interested people can participate in sort of a class where we will go through the steps of clicker training in order to help people who are new to clicker training and would like some help.

We will go through finding reinforcers, how and when and what to click and then teaching a couple of behaviors including targeting and another behavior.

Anyone interested please post here and then we'll get started.:dance4::dance4:

ronsig

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
What a great idea!!!
Clickertraining is the only thing that worked with my rescued budgies.:dance4:

Sigrid

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
What a great idea!!!
Clickertraining is the only thing that worked with my rescued budgies.:dance4:

Sigrid

I figure if a few people are interested it would be helpful to go through it as a group so people could ask questions and get feedback.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds great Vicky! How does this work and what do we need?:highfive:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Sounds great Vicky! How does this work and what do we need?:highfive:

We will sort of make it up as we go along:) What I had in mind what that I would present small pieces the technique, then we would all go off and try that and then come back to discuss and get feedback. I will break it into pieces including mechanical skills, like how to click the clicker and then present the food, which seems easy enough but it's important for us to get that stuff down before bringing the learner (the bird) into the mix. Then we will go through the steps of choosing a reinforcer, conditioning the clicker, etc. It will be fun, and no pressure:)

You will need a bird and a clicker:) Oh, and the reinforcer (food rewards) but finding out what that is will be a part of the process:)

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I am really interested in the reinforcer bit. The only thing Howard will work for is Cheetos and I need to find something healthier for him.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I'm interested :)

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I'm interested too. I've just started with Goofy and it is fun but I am having a hard time getting her to understand fetch. Goofy is going to be the easy one to train the other 2 will be tougher because neither one take treats from me. At least not yet.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
I have my clicker and I have really wanted to start clicker training the girls. I just haven't done it. This is the exact boost I need! Thanks!

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
oh please count me in?
I have thought about doing this with batman for some time and now that we have the new tiel in the house its a perfect time to get going. will grab a clicker after easter :D

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I need to get a clicker! can you use dog ones? lol. I can get one for $5 if so, I haven't seen any bird clickers being sold around here.

I'd love to do it with my GCC.

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
my understanding is the dog clickers are just from what i have read so far (hope so cause its what I was planning to get LOL )

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Yes, dog clickers work. Anything that makes a click noise. But dog clickers are better becase they fit in your hands.

Count me in! I started doing clicker training, but stopped because I don't understand it all.

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Oh I definitely want to be in on this. I've been wanting to learn about it, and was going to buy a book and try to learn that way, but this will be much more fun, and helpful, I'm sure!! Thanks for doing this.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Yes I will join.
I had Newman doing it, but he would only do it if the environment was just so, the way he was shown the first time.
He liked it. He would touch his beak to a red Sharpie, but if it was a blue one, no way, if it was a pen, no way.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Any clicker will do. You can use a regular box clicker which are the ones typically sold at pet stores. If your bird seems afraid you could use an i-click which is a little quieter of a click. If you don't have a clicker you could also use a pen that click-clicks. You could also simply use a verbal bridge or a word, but using the clicker is more powerful because it is very distinct.

You can order box clickers or i-clicks from www.clickertraining.com which is Karen Pryor's website.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I got mine at Petsmart, it was 1.99 They had them at the checkout.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There seems to be no clickers around here. :huh:I will try to purchase one today.. If not I will purchase a pen that clicks. :DThanks for offering this Vicky. I've always been a bit confused about how to commence clicker training!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.