• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker Training for Beginners - Lesson 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
By the way, I started charging the clicker today with Papaya. It went well.

~used sunflower seeds fed from my hand
~fed in two locations (two separate perches)
~worked with him in the cage
~ended the session with him seeming very eager

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Jumping in on this late! I clicker trained my dog 10 years ago, and LOVED it (as did she)! She loved it so much, I would end the training session with "Game over!!!!" so that she'd know that we were done. :lol: Need to go pick up a new clicker and get caught up with the rest of you on the steps.

Nugget's a lovebird and LOVES safflower seeds - but she takes FOREVER to eat one (has to make sure she gets every bit of morsel out of it). I may pick up some pine-nuts tomorrow and see how she likes those - I like the ideas I read about cutting the nuts into very small pieces - OH - she LOVES pistachio's too, so I may see how she does with that cut into tiny pieces! And she only gets them as treats too!

Very excited to have stumbled across this, this morning!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Jumping in on this late! I clicker trained my dog 10 years ago, and LOVED it (as did she)! She loved it so much, I would end the training session with "Game over!!!!" so that she'd know that we were done. :lol: Need to go pick up a new clicker and get caught up with the rest of you on the steps.

Nugget's a lovebird and LOVES safflower seeds - but she takes FOREVER to eat one (has to make sure she gets every bit of morsel out of it). I may pick up some pine-nuts tomorrow and see how she likes those - I like the ideas I read about cutting the nuts into very small pieces - OH - she LOVES pistachio's too, so I may see how she does with that cut into tiny pieces! And she only gets them as treats too!

Very excited to have stumbled across this, this morning!
Welcome! Glad to have you. I use safflower seeds for Autumn, my green cheek but she eats them pretty quickly. I think that cut up pistachios or pine nuts would be a great choice.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
By the way, I started charging the clicker today with Papaya. It went well.

~used sunflower seeds fed from my hand
~fed in two locations (two separate perches)
~worked with him in the cage
~ended the session with him seeming very eager
Yay for Papaya and Vicky!!:dance4:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Okay everyone, how are you all doing on charging the clicker? Let's get some feedback so we can move on to the next lesson if everyone is ready!

JustMe79

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm new here, and really need this to work with a 15 year old rehome CAG that I have taken in. I will be getting my clicker this afternoon and will catch up to where you all are. Thank you for doing these threads!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I'm new here, and really need this to work with a 15 year old rehome CAG that I have taken in. I will be getting my clicker this afternoon and will catch up to where you all are. Thank you for doing these threads!

Great!! We are happy to have you! Let us know when you get your clicker and start the charging!

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
Oh my gosh, this was fantastic. I am SO glad you posted this. Your daughter is so pretty and her clicking and treat delivery was really nice. Tell her well done! I think my only critique would be to do less reps with RB because she was starting to get a little bored towards the end. Also, I didn't mention this before but I realized it more when I watched this, I usually will completely remove the millet for each click. So it's click, present millet for bite, take it away, even out of sight so that it becomes very clear click makes the millet come. :dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:Yay for you that was brilliant!!
thank you!
we are videoing each session with both RB and batman ... batmans are going and i do have a positive update on that to post over the weekend too... but am only posting a couple.

Thank you for the feedback also , we have been trying with millet back down on my daughters lap this week and it is going well.

OH and as a highlight batman is now eating out of my hand! tentatively and a long millet spray but taking food from my none the less! i have you and these threads to thank for that :hug8::dance5:

I just saw this and I AGREE with Vicky!!:dance4: That was awesome. Gee, if your daughter can do this... I must be able to do it too.:o:rofl::hug8:
hehe thanks Saemma, honestly if both my 8 year old and I can do it with two very very different birds then I am sure if everyone keeps with it the will do amazingly!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

thank you!
we are videoing each session with both RB and batman ... batmans are going and i do have a positive update on that to post over the weekend too... but am only posting a couple.

Thank you for the feedback also , we have been trying with millet back down on my daughters lap this week and it is going well.

OH and as a highlight batman is now eating out of my hand! tentatively and a long millet spray but taking food from my none the less! i have you and these threads to thank for that :hug8::dance5:

hehe thanks Saemma, honestly if both my 8 year old and I can do it with two very very different birds then I am sure if everyone keeps with it the will do amazingly!
That is so great on all counts!!!! I'm so glad it is going well. I will probably post Lesson 4 today, although I was hoping to get more feedback on how people are doing.

I hope you made sure to tell your daughter how great she did and how impressed we are:). A lot of kids are great clicker trainers and have amazing timing. I just had a little boy (probably 11 or so) graduate from my dog training class with his lab last night. He did a fantastic job with her. I really want her to know how skilled she looked in the video:)

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
That is so great on all counts!!!! I'm so glad it is going well. I will probably post Lesson 4 today, although I was hoping to get more feedback on how people are doing.

I hope you made sure to tell your daughter how great she did and how impressed we are:). A lot of kids are great clicker trainers and have amazing timing. I just had a little boy (probably 11 or so) graduate from my dog training class with his lab last night. He did a fantastic job with her. I really want her to know how skilled she looked in the video:)
she is at her grandma's this weekend but as soon as she is back I will let her have a read of your comments , thank you :dance5:

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Late joining in, but I started working with Eco, my Sennie, tonight on charging the clicker. He really seems to go for the safflower seeds so I'm starting with them and will add more treats as he settles in. Since the seeds are so small, I decided to offer them to him out of a baby food jar lid.

I did 2 sessions tonight and once each session he did stretch himself up tall after a rep. I'm not sure if that's a response to the clicker so we'll see what he does tomorrow.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm still in, Emmit's eager every time we start right up until we finish, he is always alert and I try not to make it too boring for him, but he never seems to get bored so that's a good thing!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Late joining in, but I started working with Eco, my Sennie, tonight on charging the clicker. He really seems to go for the safflower seeds so I'm starting with them and will add more treats as he settles in. Since the seeds are so small, I decided to offer them to him out of a baby food jar lid.

I did 2 sessions tonight and once each session he did stretch himself up tall after a rep. I'm not sure if that's a response to the clicker so we'll see what he does tomorrow.
If you think the noise is concerning him you can put the clicker behind your back. Good work! I love that you are calling him Eco for Earth Day:)

I'm still in, Emmit's eager every time we start right up until we finish, he is always alert and I try not to make it too boring for him, but he never seems to get bored so that's a good thing!

Yay!! That is so excellent.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
If you think the noise is concerning him you can put the clicker behind your back. Good work! I love that you are calling him Eco for Earth Day:)

After working with Eco some more today, I think when he is stretching up he is trying to figure out how to get on me. He seems fine with the noise (I'm using an I-Click so it's quieter than the box clickers). I'm not seeing much of a response to the clicker, but I think he'll show more of one as we get into training something.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
We got the i-click and finally today my son and I did a click training. I was afraid the 3 conures would be confused but there was no confusion. I used a stick first (because I didn't get a chance to read these) and they all got the touch thing within 5 clicks. It was humorous that Mango (only female sun c.) not only got it but attacked the stick then went after me for the treat. although I didn't like her behavior I knew she understood what I wanted her to do. next time we will get her off her "grounds" to train.
Sammy did great with the 10 clicks, ten treats. The lovies...well not so much. I really don't know what to do with them.

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
Well, I am finally to lesson 3! lol Tried this with Lucina just now and she seemed HYPERalert after a few clicks. Every time I presented the millet from her left side she tried to climb on my hand. She has cataracts but I did think she could still see since she flies just fine. From her right side she takes a bite of millet and "prepares" herself. I'm not sure if this excitement in the "game" or being slightly freaked out by the clicker sound.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well, I am finally to lesson 3! lol Tried this with Lucina just now and she seemed HYPERalert after a few clicks. Every time I presented the millet from her left side she tried to climb on my hand. She has cataracts but I did think she could still see since she flies just fine. From her right side she takes a bite of millet and "prepares" herself. I'm not sure if this excitement in the "game" or being slightly freaked out by the clicker sound.
This is so excellent! I love that you experimented with delivering the food from both sides. that is brilliant and really smart:) It could be both on her behavior. If she is eating the millet it's probably not freaked out but more excited about the next click! Please keep posting your progress!

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
Well, we worked on this again this morning. We have reverted back to almonds although I am positive she likes millet better. For some reason the millet was not enough to keep her with me during the clicker association. She was super alert again every time the clicker sounded and seemed to be too distracted to take millet from me. I even tried putting it in a bowl instead of feeding her directly from my hand but she flew back to her cage several times. I tried doing it at the cage but she walked away from me when I presented the millet. However, the almonds kept her attention and I think she's starting to associate the clicker with the almonds.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well, we worked on this again this morning. We have reverted back to almonds although I am positive she likes millet better. For some reason the millet was not enough to keep her with me during the clicker association. She was super alert again every time the clicker sounded and seemed to be too distracted to take millet from me. I even tried putting it in a bowl instead of feeding her directly from my hand but she flew back to her cage several times. I tried doing it at the cage but she walked away from me when I presented the millet. However, the almonds kept her attention and I think she's starting to associate the clicker with the almonds.
Ok, then I would change the clicking. Can you put the clicker in your sleeve to muffle the sound. Or, hold the clicker very far away while you click, or switch to a quieter clicker (like an i-click) or a pen top?

Status
Not open for further replies.