• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning: Walls, Floors, Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciesana

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so Mods, feel free to move it into a more appropriate sub-forum.

I just spent two hours cleaning the house, cages, etc. I live in 650sq. feet.

It's amazing how much mess accumulates in such a short amount of time, and I only have two fabies! I use white vinegar to clean everything, and it works wonders--other than the smell, which isn't my favourite. It took a long time to get the walls clean. I'm just wondering if you use any kind of backing on the cages to stop the soft foods from sticking everywhere, or do you just remember to wipe down the walls every day? Also, I have wood floors, which I sweep or vacuum every day, and mop at least once a week. What do you put under your cages to help with mess?

My house looked spotless for about 3 minutes, until Eddie decided to have a bath and spray water everywhere. Then he took another blueberry from his dish and it was game over. They love strawberries and blueberries, but man do they make a mess with them! Ah, life with parrots.

I would love to hear from folks about cleaning routines, etc.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I always feel like a mess magnet - I can clean everything, 30 minutes later it looks like I have done nothing

I use layers of papers so I can remove the top layer in the cage

My guys have a couple of spots they like to perch when out, so more papers on the floor there for 'accidents'

I use lots of unscented baby wipes too

I also keep a spray bottle of F10 with a few drops of plain Blue Dawn and a few drops of GSE in it and a roll of paper towels to wipe up spills and splatters

I have a broom and dustpan for the birdroom and another for the living room (the main mess areas)

It helps to take a few minutes every evening to pick up, sweep, clean spots and then it is not so bad

As long as it is clean enough for them to be healthy, I try not to stress over it (always easier said than done ;) )

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I also use vinegar and water (spray bottle) and keep a supply of paper towels/rags near Ruby's cage for frequent clean ups. I also keep a broom in the room for the wood floor.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Walls are covered with Thick Painters Plastic (just thumb tacked to the wall behind cages) Floors are carpeted and covered with Shower Boards (from Lowes) and Plastic Runners (from dollar store) i clean everything including the carpet with Pet Focus, I used it in the Carpet Scrubber and it did a great job cleaning my carpets

PennyJ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penny
My favorite thing to help with the every hard and concrete like bird poop is the Mr. Clean sponge. If it leaves a bit of a film I just wipe with a damp cloth. It is the best thing I have ever found!!

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I shop at Costco on a regular basis and they always are happy to let me have the large cardboard dividers that they use when stacking bathroom tissue and paper towels. They have some that are made of thicker cardboard and some that are like a really, really heavy duty paper. I put the cardboard behind a couple cages with birds that like to fling soft foods and will use the large heavy paper stuff under the cages and under playstands to protect the floors. I don't know what I would do without Costco! :)

PennyJ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penny
To help keep my walls clean from what looks like a fruity pebbles explosion I put a sheet on the back side of my fids cages. Then when they are dirty they get washed or thrown out. It is great and much easier to deal with. And if you have a chewer they can concentrate on the sheet too instead of walls and such.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
I put a sheet over the back and sides of the cage. It usually takes a while for them to eat the sheet or rip it apart. I get sheets at goodwill or something for 1.00 or .50

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My birds like to flick their food (I'd call it more of a food fight :rolleyes:) all over the walls and everywhere too, so when they finish, I straight away wipe down the walls after-wards, otherwise it goes all hard and it's a pain in the backside to get off. I usually just using boiling water and vinegar. The bird room has carpet, but I only need to vacuum once in the morning and then at night before bed.. they don't make too much of a mess during the day. I heard that plastic works well, and it's easy to clean!

I do have floorboards in my bedroom, and I currently have 6 out of 11 budgies in my room, they make a ton of mess, they never used to, maybe it's because they know floorboards are easy to clean, lol. But I vacuum my bedroom twice a day as well, and I'll mop if need be.. it mainly needs to be vacuumed more than be mopped each day, but I still mop it 3-4 times a week anyway.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have wood floors and have a piece of vinyl I picked up at Lowes under their cage and play area. I also clean with vinegar and water

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
To help keep my walls clean from what looks like a fruity pebbles explosion I put a sheet on the back side of my fids cages. Then when they are dirty they get washed or thrown out. It is great and much easier to deal with. And if you have a chewer they can concentrate on the sheet too instead of walls and such.
I put a sheet over the back and sides of the cage. It usually takes a while for them to eat the sheet or rip it apart. I get sheets at goodwill or something for 1.00 or .50

be careful allowing them to chew the sheets, they CAN get crop impaction from it!

My birds like to flick their food (I'd call it more of a food fight :rolleyes:) all over the walls and everywhere too, so when they finish, I straight away wipe down the walls after-wards, otherwise it goes all hard and it's a pain in the backside to get off. I usually just using boiling water and vinegar. The bird room has carpet, but I only need to vacuum once in the morning and then at night before bed.. they don't make too much of a mess during the day. I heard that plastic works well, and it's easy to clean!

I do have floorboards in my bedroom, and I currently have 6 out of 11 budgies in my room, they make a ton of mess, they never used to, maybe it's because they know floorboards are easy to clean, lol. But I vacuum my bedroom twice a day as well, and I'll mop if need be.. it mainly needs to be vacuumed more than be mopped each day, but I still mop it 3-4 times a week anyway.

what your birdies don't hang off the cage doors and aim for the floor to poop?:hehe:

I really think all mine do it on purpose so i have to mop the shower board "floors" several times a week instead of just when they (they're white) start looking grungy :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.