• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning toys - dyed wood and loofah/luffa

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi all,

I'm planning to DIY some loofah toys.

How do you clean loofah? Would it be the same as any other toy?

Also I've read a few threads about cleaning toys but no one has mentioned dyed wood toys. They tend to bleed at the slightest bit of moisture so what's the best way to clean them?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
bump

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
For my dyed wood toys I just washed them in warm water and then left them to dry fully from the air. I know they bleed but it doesn't do any harm, just the colours are a little less vibrant.

I'm interested to see what others say about the loofah, as I have a toy with a similar material I would like to clean at some point soon!

clarousel

Don't they bleed and the colours mix up?

Mine are attached to white rope so it looks so horrid :laughing2: I'm trying to avoid dyed wood parts in any future toy purchases but they're so attractive...

I did a quick google and it seems for loofahs you can soak in a solution of baking soda and warm water - 1 cup water to 1 tbsp baking soda. Bleach would damage it over time.

Do correct me if I'm wrong!

Reactions: Ali

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
In my house, if a toy gets gross and it's not plastic/metal, I just toss it. If I can, I will remove the soiled toy part to try and salvage the rest of the toy.

Mantis64

Dont know about the dyed toys but my bird seems to think his perch is better to chew than the wood toy that's right in front of his face.lol

• Haha
Reactions: Ali

DuncanJac

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jacob Duncan
Hi! Thank you very much for this topic, I found the information I needed

DuncanJac

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jacob Duncan
Hi! Thank you very much for this topic, I found the information I needed
Hi, I came across this post because I saw that you use the word loofah. I thought there would be a conversation here about loofah that can be used in the shower as a washcloth. Well, apparently, I don't know something else about this thing. By the way, I recently read an article about the best loofah that can be used in the shower. I advise all people who also welcome using a loofah to wash their bodies to buy loofah on Amazon because there is a huge selection. I'm sorry, of course, that I'm not writing on the topic. I just thought I'd share information with you.

Last edited by a moderator: