• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning stainless steel pans

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
I have a ss saute pan and cooked some veggies in butter. The butter splattered up the sides of the pan and burned. Normal cleaning with soap and water didn't clean it. I used a pumice type cleaner and that didn't get the burned spots off either. Does anyone have a good idea how to clean it or should I just leave it and not be concerned?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Mybluebird how big is the sautee pan? I have idea that might work but if the pan is too big it won't.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Have you tried steel wool and lightly scrubbing? I have dozens of stainless steel pans and skillets
Some are over 20 years old. They all look brand new, with just a light steel wool scrub when necessary.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use SOS pads or Brillo Pads. I also will run the ones that fit thru my dishwasher but I do not dry them. My handles are plastic ;& extreme heat temperature can destroy the handles over time.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Would baking soda with a tiny bit of vinegar work? You can scrub the spot with your finger.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have those 3M green & blue scour pads that are not metal. Green for scrubbing metal. They are good.
Also baking soda...for the tough stuff...I keep some bar keepers friend avail...its stronger than baking soda.

Sos have not used it in a long time..its good but it can scratch too & then it will rust.

Also have the scotch brite pads

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Did not know what the difference was between the blue & green Scotch Brite pads - thanks. Good suggestions. I'll try and see what works.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If you have a large dutch oven pot larger then then the sautee pan, you could try the dip method. Fill the dutch oven to half full of water. Bring to boil, adding a couple tablespoons of vinegar. Dip the burnt pan in boiling water and let it sit for a couple of minutes. The burnt pieces should float off. Oil floats on boiling water. Just be careful not to splash boiling water on yourself or touch the handle with bare hands. Baking soda paste might work also.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I cleaned apartments for a while so you needed those scrub pads especially for ovens & lime & scale... etc...Magic eraser is great too for alot of things but never tried it on pots...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When all else fails with burnt on stuff on my SS pans I line/cover them with plain old tin foil and drop a dishwasher tablet and boiling water into the pan and fully immerse the burnt parts (I do this in a well ventilated room that the birds can not get to) I leave them sitting for a few hours and usually then anything that was baked on is fairly easy to scrub off if it hasn’t fallen off.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It will clean easy w/ SOS. I try to be gentle w/ them & try never to use rusty ones. The green Scotch Brite ones w/ well too (saturate a corner w/ dishsoap). A good long hot soak before you wash. I also am not sure about the ving. & baking soda but I'm still learning how well this works on a # of things.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Boil water in it to soften it, empty then a baking soda paste and scrub it

Rain Bow