• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning rope perches?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
All of my birds absolutely love rope perches but I'm wondering if there's a way to clean them or do I need to buy new ones? I'd go through these perches like crazy if they need to be replaced when dirty. My GCC loves to wipe his morning chop face all over his and of course they all get poop on their perches. I don't really care about the looks of the perches but I would like to disinfect them to keep my birds healthy. I know eventually they need to be replaced but I'd rather not have to buy new ones every time they get some poop or food on them. So are there any safe ways to clean/ disinfect rope perches? Thanks!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I keep extras around and change out the dirty ones. I run them under hot water to get the excess dirt off, then put lots of dish soap on and scrub with a brush. Rinse well with hot water. Sometimes I soak them in the sink for a bit first but try not to soak the ends as they will come apart.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I toss them, but my babies destroy them anyway. I have learned to put strips of fleece around the perch on both ends by the plastic parts, and they tend to last longer that way. It is harder for them to get the ends of the rope to start destroying it. They last a few months or so.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I toss them, but my babies destroy them anyway. I have learned to put strips of fleece around the perch on both ends by the plastic parts, and they tend to last longer that way. It is harder for them to get the ends of the rope to start destroying it. They last a few months or so.
My birds are small (GCC is my largest) so they don't destroy them that quickly, that's why I'd like to try washing them before having to buy new ones all the time. From now on I'll be keeping an eye out for any deals on them and just start hoarding rope perches lol

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I wash mine in the sink with dish soap. If it gets really bad I'll soak it but I try not to. Then rinse really well and lay out to dry.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My birds are small (GCC is my largest) so they don't destroy them that quickly, that's why I'd like to try washing them before having to buy new ones all the time. From now on I'll be keeping an eye out for any deals on them and just start hoarding rope perches lol

Every time I need to get my Amazon order up for free shipping, I add a few rope perches. :)

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I didn't think they'd dry that well so that's why I never just used water on them but I'll definitely give it a try. I was always worried they'd start growing mold or something if they got too wet. Good to know that regular water and soap can do the trick, thanks!

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Does anyone put them in the washing machine?

I think they would fall apart. There is double sided tape holding the plastic ends on so they wouldn't hold up too well.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I didn't think they'd dry that well so that's why I never just used water on them but I'll definitely give it a try. I was always worried they'd start growing mold or something if they got too wet. Good to know that regular water and soap can do the trick, thanks!

I dry them with a paper towel. On a warm day I might put them back in damp, but usually just switch out for clean dry ones. You can also spray with vinegar/water mix after cleaning to give extra protection against bacteria. Then just let it dry.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Does anyone put them in the washing machine?

I'd be woried the washing machine would destroy them. I'd also be worried about the soap residue from the washer getting in the rope.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've put them in the washing machine and they've survived. I've also dried them in the dryer without any catastrophes ...

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I finally gave in and washed my rope perches in the dishwasher and added the sanitizing steam option at the end. OMG they came out like brand new! I have a gcc too so she doesn’t tear up rope perches, they just get dirty.

I threw them into the dryer for a few cycles to dry them quicker, but on a good hot summer day, I would just set them out in the sun.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I put mine in the washer on delicate and with an extra rinse they come out pretty.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Dr fosters just had a half price rope perch sale. I bought 10.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dishwasher here but I've switched to mostly wood perches. Careful with sanitizing as that "can" get hot enough to melt the glue holding the ends.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'll have to try a few methods and see what works best. My apartment doesn't have a washer or dish washer so I'll mostly be washing in the sink but I can bring the perches when I visit my parents to try the other ways. Thanks everyone!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have always use the dishwasher with no negative results.