• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning Products?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know I've been starting several threads, but I'm full of questions. I hope I'm not driving you all mad! I want to keep Leto safe.

I understand I'm not supposed to use bleach. But how does everyone disinfect there counters and sink? What do you use for toilets and tub? I'd really appreciate brand names or links! :cleaningday::sweep::scrubfloors2:

Thanks for you time and knowledge :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use steam to clean bathrooms, cages, etc. I also use natural products for the rest. Any chemical is bad for birds, their respiratory system is very delicate :cool:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Vinegar and baking soda. I do occasionally use Lysol wipes in kitchen

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I use white vinegar and baking soda for sinks tubs etc, I have a hand held steam cleaner for counter tops and stoves/ovens and any other area of the house needing serious cleaning. The steamer cleans the dirt off every/any surface and disinfects with the heat of the steam.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use steam to clean bathrooms, cages, etc. I also use natural products for the rest. Any chemical is bad for birds, their respiratory system is very delicate :cool:
When you say natural products do you also mean vinegar and baking soda?

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vinegar and baking soda. I do occasionally use Lysol wipes in kitchen
I use white vinegar and baking soda for sinks tubs etc, I have a hand held steam cleaner for counter tops and stoves/ovens and any other area of the house needing serious cleaning. The steamer cleans the dirt off every/any surface and disinfects with the heat of the steam.
What ratio of vinegar to baking soda do you use? Do you use this in the toilet too?

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
What ratio of vinegar to baking soda do you use? Do you use this in the toilet too?

I just throw in a 1/4 cup of baking soda in the tub and add a little less than 1/4 cup of vinegar as it will bubble up if you use too much vinegar and you need to have a paste of baking soda to scrub the walls of the tub with so don't overdo it. Some people don't like to use vinegar so you can use lemon juice instead its just more expensive then vinegar.

I usually use the steamer to clean the toilet but I also use alka seltzer denture tablets in between heavy cleanings, just pop a couple of them in the bowl and let them bubble and clean the bowl as I wipe down the outside with a little baking soda and a slightly damp cloth with a little vinegar.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use Dragonfly Organics, they are safe to use around birds and a organic disinfectant wipes. With dragonfly they don't one for dusting: but you can spray a cloth then dust :cool:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store I have straight vinegar in. Just sprinkle a little baking soda where you need scrubbing power at and spritz the vinegar on.

I also have a steamer I use. For the toilet I'm bad, I use regular toilet bowl cleaner since I keep birds in their cages and babies aren't at the house when I clean.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use the blue Dawn on just about every washable surface. Hubby has respiratory issues, so I have to be careful for both him and the birds.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm loving everyone's ideas and suggestions! :thanks:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's great. It is the only disinfectant that addresses so many fungi/bacteria and molds. I'm sure you will be pleased with it.