• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning perches: is water and vinegar ok?

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Hello all,

I have seen here that people advice the use of a mix of water and vinegar as a way to clean without chemical that could hurt our bird.

I am considering cleaning the perches of my bird with the mix water and vinegar but I have a question. Since vinegar is acid would there be a risk that it irritates the feet of my bird when he sits on the cleaned perches?

Sorry maybe my question is silly but I prefer asking.

Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Vinegar is a weak acid. What you buy in the store in the food aisle is 5%, so mixing it half with water is realistically 2.5%. Rinsing the perch after cleaning will further dilute it beyond any recognizable amount. It's safe to eat from the bottle, so I would imagine it's not likely to do much to your bird's feet even if a residue exists :)

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Vinegar dries very quickly and is safe to use.

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
If you are concerned about the safety of normal white vinegar, you could use apple cider vinegar but it's more expensive.
I don't think it's unsafe for their feet, you can rinse off the vinegar if you want to be extra safe, I do this so that they can safely ingest it(some vinegars contain sulphites, that's why I do it but you don't have to)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It's safe, I don't think anyone has had a problem with it here.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just be aware that vinegar from grocery stores can vary. Regular, for cooking & eating = 5%. Pickling = 7.5ish%. Cleaning = 10%. All are useful.

SunTruth

Just be aware that vinegar from grocery stores can vary. Regular, for cooking & eating = 5%. Pickling = 7.5ish%. Cleaning = 10%. All are useful.
For cleaning what percentage of vinegar (once mixed with water I mean) should I use?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure. Just wanted you to be aware that there are different strengths. I use vinegar for non-bird related cleaning.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I always use food grade (5%) and dilute with water 50/50.

I have never seen 10% here in stores! I've only seen 6%. Crazy.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I want to add that if you are ceaning a wooden perch or platform, a very fine sandpaper works great.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
But does it remove germs too?
If you're trying to remove germs, vinegar is a good cleaner but not a good disinfectant. It only removes at best 80% of germs. F10 is what I use as a disinfectant as it is safe to use around birds, but you can also use bleach (not splashless) diluted 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Do not use bleach around your bird though. I would remove the perches, clean them, then spray the bleach solution on. I then would put it outside in the sun if you can (but some where birds can't access them due to risk of wild bird diseases), and let sit until dry. Sun helps break down bleach, but even sitting inside, it will break down into essentially salt water. I still rinse them once dry though.

Disinfectants need to remain on surfaces at least 10 mins to kill bacterias and viruses.

SunTruth

If you're trying to remove germs, vinegar is a good cleaner but not a good disinfectant. It only removes at best 80% of germs. F10 is what I use as a disinfectant as it is safe to use around birds, but you can also use bleach (not splashless) diluted 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Do not use bleach around your bird though. I would remove the perches, clean them, then spray the bleach solution on. I then would put it outside in the sun if you can (but some where birds can't access them due to risk of wild bird diseases), and let sit until dry. Sun helps break down bleach, but even sitting inside, it will break down into essentially salt water. I still rinse them once dry though.

Disinfectants need to remain on surfaces at least 10 mins to kill bacterias and viruses.
Oh thank you but using bleach would me me worried I guess I would fear too much doing something wrong. i will try to see if I can get F10 but not sure if they sell it in my country.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
When I wash my birbs dishes, I use a vinegar rinse to remove any soap residue. Our local grocery store stocks a 9% apple cider vinegar, so I dilute it ~5 parts water to 1 part vinegar. I also rinse with copious amounts of water before using the dish for their food or water.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
@Mizzely can you remind me where to get F10 in the U.S.? This post made me remember I just ran out of F10 and forgot to order more. I also forgot where I last ordered it. :facepalm:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wonder if any of you guys know this brand and this product? I do not find F10 here so I would like to know if anyone use this disinfectant. It is for cleaning bird cage.

When used per package direction it should be fine :)

@Mizzely can you remind me where to get F10 in the U.S.? This post made me remember I just ran out of F10 and forgot to order more. I also forgot where I last ordered it. :facepalm:
You can buy it here :) Pure Clean Bio F10 Sanitizing Distributor

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
FYI There is a cleaning vinegar with higher acid level. Some reading:

Cleaning Vinegar vs White Vinegar Regular, white vinegar consists of about 5% acetic acid and 95% water. On the other hand, cleaning vinegar has an acidity of 6%. That 1% more acidity makes it 20% stronger than white vinegar.