• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning my cockatiel

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you. I was super worried when he wasn’t eating and did take him to a vet although the weren’t an avian vet and their advice was to speak to the breeder. I live in a rural city in WA, but I have a friend who is a vet in a near by town and she mentioned they have a man who used to own an exotic animal vet and that he would be able to help more so I’m looking down the route.

I did give him some mashed sweet potato carrot and zuchinni yesterday and he seemed to enjoy it. I’ll look into the pellets aswell in the mean time just wanna make sure he’s eating and putting some weight on.
I would honestly look at getting him some proper formula instead of settling with the egg and biscuit. My uncle breeds tiels and has done for a long time- I have never ever heard of a diet like the breeder you got your baby from being fed and I have never known of anyone to recommend egg and biscuit mix as a complete formula for a growing baby.

If you can find and travel to an avian vet that is the best thing you can do, especially given the start your little one has had.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My Eva weaned a bit early because she was just a little younger than Wally. I always offered formula at night but offered sweet potato, zucchini, carrots, all cooked and smashed. Also, softened pellets. I offered other items but that’s what they liked. They also like wild rice but I offer that only as a treat.
Glad to hear they are liking some things, try the pellets. Hope they take to more items, trial and error. Good luck

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Glad to hear they are liking some things, try the pellets. Hope they take to more items, trial and error. Good luck
I always offered formula throughout the weaning process. But they got off it on their own. I found small pellets (mine like roudybush crumbles) to be really successful and parakeet nutriberries to be great as a training treat.

Sarah&Olli

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sarah Hill
I would honestly look at getting him some proper formula instead of settling with the egg and biscuit. My uncle breeds tiels and has done for a long time- I have never ever heard of a diet like the breeder you got your baby from being fed and I have never known of anyone to recommend egg and biscuit mix as a complete formula for a growing baby.

If you can find and travel to an avian vet that is the best thing you can do, especially given the start your little one has had.
I do have a proper formula that I brought along with the egg and biscuit, I’ll keep offering the formula aswell, most of the time he takes two mouthfuls and loses interest. And I’ll keep trying with that and mixing up the veg. I’ll definitely travel as far as I need for a vet. Thanks heaps :)