• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning branches

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
Hello all :swoon:

I have picked up some branches from moms garden for Sora today :bliss:, 3 of them are from walnut and one from fig tree.
I searched some methods for cleaning them but could not find the one fits me :facepalm:

Now they are soaked in vinegar solution for overnight. But I dont know how to dry them. I want the leaves to be intact but afraid they will not be when dried in oven and my oven is not that big. I cannot also sun dry because, I dont have a place to :cautious:.
I think about leaving them in an aerated spare room.
Plus, will soaking in vinegar be enough for them to be safe?

I am attaching a photo of the branches. Do you think they are ok?
And a photo of Sora enjoying long awaited outdoors.
Thanks a lot for your wisdom as always :xflove:

Attachments

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
Walnut is not a safe wood to use!!!
İs in not? I found it safe on some sites:
Safe and Dangerous Woods

http://beaknwings.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=298&Itemid=432

And used it last year without issues but could not keep the leaves since they were short and fit in the oven

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
Dear @mak thanks a lot for the information after a second thought if anybody does not answer i will get rid of them in the morning just to be safe and consider myself lucky that Sora is safe

mak

Rollerblading along the road
Dear @mak thanks a lot for the information after a second thought if anybody does not answer i will get rid of them in the morning just to be safe and consider myself lucky that Sora is safe
After posting I checked around and it seems there are different opinions. Unless someone can give you an unequivocal answer that it's safe, I would err on the side of caution.

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
After posting I checked around and it seems there are different opinions. Unless someone can give you an unequivocal answer that it's safe, I would err on the side of caution.
Thank you very much

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It seems the black walnut is the one that is listed mostly as toxic, however, I could not find much on walnut that was not conflicting. Maybe @Mizzely will be able to find something better than I seem to be getting.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I don't know about parrots, but black walnut wood is toxic to dogs. Do you know the type of walnut tree?

Here is a research article that details the symptoms and what was ingested:

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
It seems the black walnut is the one that is listed mostly as toxic, however, I could not find much on walnut that was not conflicting. Maybe @Mizzely will be able to find something better than I seem to be getting.
Thanks. I hope we find if it is safe.

I don't know about parrots, but black walnut wood is toxic to dogs. Do you know the type of walnut tree?
I dont know much about walnut trees but it is the regular walnut tree, the one we eat :) it had green walnuts on it, after september they will ripen and Sora will have walnut feast lol

Reactions: Ali

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I get conflicting information about walnut too so I'd skip it personally

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
I think 'black walnut' terms are different in Turkish and English, and these are black. I found a google image of the walnut and its tree so i am atraching it, maybe it Will help someone. I will get rid of them then. They would be so good though :(
Thanks a lot to all of you

Attachments

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
:) Hello again
My moms neighbor brought some linden tree branches for her, and she gave some to me.:cantwait:
Since my questions is the same, i did not make a new post, i hope this is the correct way.
Before doing anything i wanted to post here to be safe.
I am planning on leaving them in water vinegar solution and leaving in it overnight. Then spread on clean fabric in a ventilated room to dry.
Is this ok? Will only vinegar solution be safe?
I cannot sun dry them, i dont have a place to. And do not want to use oven since I want the leaves and flowers to be intact. And they will not fit in the oven.
I also wanted to add the photos of the branches and some flowers on it. Are these safe?
Thanks a lot again :swoon: IMG_20200629_180257.jpg IMG_20200629_180247.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ali

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I wasn't able to find much information about this tree or its family. I did find one list that indicated "basswood" is safe for toys. Basswood is a name for wood from the linden tree. However, that does not mean the leaves or flowers are safe for birds. Sometimes different parts of the plant have toxins, even though some parts are safe.

The flowers are used in herbal teas and may have medicinal effects. That suggests that they are edible, but could be dangerous if consumed in excess. I didn't find anything about the leaves.

If it was me, I would feel comfortable offering the branches, but only after removing the leaves and flowers.

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
@Destiny thanks a lot :heart: I will wait a little more and if noone gives information i will do as you say :xflove:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Destiny thanks a lot :heart: I will wait a little more and if noone gives information i will do as you say :xflove:
I’d start a new thread asking specifically about this wood and foliage.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
This is an interesting article regarding Silver Linden trees and bee deaths. They investigated a suspected link between the trees and mass bee deaths. The study concluded that the trees were not toxic to the bees, but that linden pollen is not adequately nutritious, so bees that primarily forage from linden flowers would suffer from malnutrition and were at greater risk for hive failure due to starvation.

Interestingly, it was suggested that caffeine present in linden nectar may have contributed to "sub optimal foraging choices" in the affected colonies.

Yes, that is right - the bees can get addicted to bad nectar.

Soracik

Meeting neighbors
Thanks a lot @Destiny :xflove: i gave up on my dream to give fresh branches to Sora :(
I cleaned all leaves, cut the branches to fit in my oven. Then baked all of them at 100C for 1 hour. Larger ones will go in the cage, smaller ones will be either carry around sticks for Sora (quaker parrot) or given to my baby brother :swoon:(mom's budgie)