• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning a rope perch

CoriDJ

Sitting on the front steps
This is good information. Have a new bird coming and we already use F10 for my Chameleons. So at least we will be ready in that department.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I personally use undiluted hydrogen peroxide on my rope perches. I dislike any chemical remnants on fabric that so close to feet and faces.

I spray liberally. Then spray some more. Take a toothbrush (an old one unless Mr. Sparkles is being a turd, ha!) to anything still cemented to the fibers. Spray more H202 on it. Let it sit and neutralize- basically I walk away only to return when I remember. Then I twist the rope in the direction of its warping to throughly wring out the leftover water. Hang it over the shower rod to dry.

These days I wrap my ropes in vet wrap though. Cause one of the stinkers occasionally tries to eat them.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I have a different process for consideration.

I have this grill brush with a sharp-ish flat metal side with a bit of curvey point edge on the sides. Anyway I use the flat edge to get the bigger stuff off, the side to get into the twisty bits, and then brush with the strand direction. Then I put them in the washer and dryer. I never wipe or try to clean anything while wet or damp, because it seems to just smear into the strands.

I'm mostly happy with the results. I can't be as rough with the sisal ones, but the cotton holds up well to the wire brush abuse.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These days I wrap my ropes in vet wrap though. Cause one of the stinkers occasionally tries to eat them.
if you opt to do this keep your eye on the vetwrap one of mine tries to eat the wrap

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
if you opt to do this keep your eye on the vetwrap one of mine tries to eat the wrap
Ha. This will be Queenie next, I’ll warrant. Little turd.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ha. This will be Queenie next, I’ll warrant. Little turd.
It's KiKi that does it but i know that Mojo will soon be doing the same before long, if KiKi does it i wanna do it :nocomment: