• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning a PBFD Bird's Area to Keep Other Birds Safe

lucorinth

Checking out the neighborhood
We thought we did all the right things when bringing birds into our home, even getting each new bird tested for diseases before bringing them in. However, after a couple years with no symptoms, our very first bird that the vet had told us had a slight 'over preening problem' started to show signs of PBFD. He's a parakeet that doesn't like to be touched, so it took us longer to realize the problem was something more than an overactive oil gland and was effecting his claws and beak. He was also the only one we never had tested since he was first and seemed fine for so many months before we got another bird.

My absolute best friend, animal soul mate, passed away at the start of the year after a long and hard fight with a mystery illness. It absolutely breaks my heart to realize it was probably acute PBFD, and I was the one that brought him into a house with it unknowingly. I'll never forgive myself.

The problem I have now is what to do to hopefully protect the two cockatiels who are also in my bedroom. One tested negative for the big 4 after my darling Pancake died. However, it's been nearly a year. Also, brought in a new baby tiel 2 months ago, before I found out about Perseus probably having PBFD. We have two strong purifiers in our room, and they are on opposite sides of my room, about 10 feet apart. I can only hope that they haven't gotten it yet, since Perseus almost never leaves his cage and the tiels don't fly over to him.

But I need advice on how to clean everything. After doing research, it looks like f10 and virkon s are the only approved things. I could only seem to order virkon s in the USA, so I did that this morning. We're going to move Perseus into our attached room. His cage right now however is both on carpet and right next to our wood wardrobe full of clothes.

--Since virkon s is only supposed to be used on hard nonporous surfaces, do I need to throw out all the clothes, or would washing them with a lot of detergent be safe?

-- I can't pull up the carpet (not my house), but would putting a thick rubber mat down in that area keep the contamination potential lower? Is there a safe way to disinfect the carpet? I can't seem to find a way to get f10 in the USA.

-- Do I need to keep the birds out of the house to spray everything with virkon s? Do I need to keep them away for a certain amount of time and then wash it away?

-- Any advice at all, please. I only have my room and the attached small room to work with. I'm so sick with anxiety.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
F10 is difficult to find in the US right now. It goes through periodic shortages in the USA. Try some reptile sites on the internet.

I'm terribly sorry that you are facing this horrible disease.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Assuming PBFD have a look at this thread: (make sure to check the links too)

Last edited:

lucorinth

Checking out the neighborhood
Our vet said she highly suspects it's PBFD, and said a blood test "wouldn't change anything" so she didn't recommend it. Honestly she's been a good vet in the past, but for this appointment she seemed very tired and just kind of rushed us through since our appointment got delayed until after hours (because earlier appointments ran over). She also only offers the blood test alongside getting all 4 big diseases tested at once for $260, and said she didn't have any time to collect samples that day. And considering we have to rent a car to make it to her (we travel 2+ hours, there are no avian vets closer), it's pretty hefty.

He really does show all the signs now though. His feathers look almost like fur, and his beak and nails are very brittle.

Still, we've been reaching out to other vets and we're going to try and get a second opinion as soon as we have up enough to rent a car and use on tests.

edit: and if you're wondering why we didn't have a vet fund prepared: we did. I used every last drop of my savings trying to save Pancake, and I would have used all the money I would be getting in the future too if only it would have saved him.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That makes me very, very sad. You are going beyond what 99% of owners would do.

There may be a laboratory where you can send samples and get a PBFD test by mail.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think that avian biotech or whatever its name is accepts samples for test in the $30 range
I think they can test a deformed feather. Sounds like its likely & knowing can allow you to have Closure & be sure to protect other birds.