• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaner spray

Aerein

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
With the holidays and house cleaning going on i get the question of whats safe all the time. People are often but it says green or safe..........in my house (and my parents aviary where they raised thousands of parrots over the years) we make our own cleaners, cage sprays, ouch salve, wellness foot salve (dad went into raptor rescue one year with bumble foot eagles) and featger mists.
Here is my recipe for cage cleaner and i use it on floors and anything that needs cleaning on the downstairs where my macaw is.
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
10 drops of lavendar and lemon 100% essential oil.
Note on essential oils, only use 100% tested safe oils. I use doterra and young living. Oils arent regulated like many products and fraangrance oils are often mixed with all sorts of things.

I spray this and let sit then whipe after a few minutes, on cage i wipe with a wipe that has grapeseed extract and water only.

For cleaner or air freshener, with no vinegar:

1/4 cup water
10 drops wild orange essential oil
4 drops frankinsense OR grapefruit essential oil

I also buy brown, blue or green glass sprayer bottles often with pba free sprayers.

Safe and happy holidays all.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use 2 parts Vinegar, 2 Parts Lemon Juice Concentrate & 2-4 parts water to clean burd poop, cages, & basket bins. I let it sit for a tad & wipe, rinse & dry when not a metal item, occasionally I add salt.

If I have to use a harsh cleaner for some reason... I cage or basket Buddy, place him away from fumes & run fans to airate & remove the fumes. Even if it costs me an arm & leg in heat from our furnace, I know that Buddy's safe & those few penny's are worth it for every second Buddy is safe & with me on this planet. I'm lucky that I have the ability to take care & segregate him safely.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sorry but I'm firm believer of no essential oils in cleaning products for bird cages. I use volunteer at my cousin.'s veterinarian clinic. I've seen too many birds sick from essential oils. 1cup of vinegar 1 cup of water and if needed 1drop of Dawn non concentrated dish soap.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I use F10 or Dawn and water with a blue sponge. Lots of elbow grease esp to clean up her murder berrries (black berries--after she's done with them, it looks like a murder scene in her cage, bars, and on the walls). I was nervous about vinegar--that is ok to use? I am not a fan of the smell and so thought it was a "no" for birds.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use F10 or Dawn and water with a blue sponge. Lots of elbow grease esp to clean up her murder berrries (black berries--after she's done with them, it looks like a murder scene in her cage, bars, and on the walls). I was nervous about vinegar--that is ok to use? I am not a fan of the smell and so thought it was a "no" for birds.
Murder scene! :laughin:Steaming beets tonight, His cage sheet may look the same!!!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope his beak looked like he was the actual :eek:murderer, before we washed the beet stains off! I think he only pushed around the beet but I'll take that for a birb afraid of dark red, & only his second approach @ beets.

Aerein

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I have been using it my whole life, it was one of my moms recipes. I have never had an issue with it, my previous cockatoos and current macaw have never shown any signs of issues or stress. I do not use frankinscense in my cage cleaner but in the floor cleaner.
I am obbsessive about many things in my home to the point of mother in law arguements as pertains to scents, cookware, candles and all of that. So i certainly wouldnt want to harm anyone or their pet. I have seen a lot of good and bad advice on essential oils, but i wanted to share what works for me. I also do not diffuse in the room with my bird, nor spray her with any oils.

Aerein

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I hear you on heating! We make custome furniture and i am an artist, if something goes into the garage instead of the woodshop, even though its not attached to the ventilation i have been known to go crazy about off gassing stains and finishes, pans.......oh my. Someone once gave me a famous cook set of cookware. I called the company and when they couldnt confirm or not the safeness- out the door it went. With the previous abuse Harvey has gone through and the things she survived i tend to flip out, so i understand what you are saying!

adamc1303

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Adam
I invested in a steam cleaner. It works wonders and it just uses good ole H2O. Steam cleaning kills 99.9 percent of bacteria, germs and dust mites. There's very little elbow grease needed too.