• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CL is dangerous... considering adopting a cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ&Ellie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alysha
So I've been browsing Craigslist lately looking for a good deal on a cage upgrade for my African grey, and I came across this cuty:
Bob the Cockatiel

I'm seriously considering taking this little guy home! I'm not the kind of person who would typically do something on an impulse like this though, so I want to make sure this is a good idea before I commit.

I currently have 1 bird, a 1-year-old CAG named Ellie. Do you think having a cockatiel and a CAG would be a big safety risk? I think Ellie might enjoy having a bird to chatter back and forth with during the day while I'm at work. She pretty much stays on her cage or playstands (I keep trying to convince her to explore a little), so I don't think she'd go after the cockatiel. But I know I couldn't take that for granted.

Any advice on how caring for a cockatiel would be different from caring for Ellie? I've read smaller birds need more seed in their diet than bigger birds, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks!

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It shouldn't be a risk as long as you take the necessary safety precautions. If you really want this guy I think he could really use a good home, especially at age 11. Hopefully no one tries to buy him to breed him. I think birds really benefit from companionship, even if it's not direct contact - talking back and forth is good for them. You'd have to really watch them though if you intend to have them out together. Is your CAG flighted or are you going to let the cockatiel be flighted? If so I'd put plexiglass on top of Ellie's cage unless there is already a playstand up there so no feet get hurt.

Honestly, if you are up for it and ready for another bird I say go for it. He needs a good place to land and he sure looks like a sweetie. Just remember to quarantine in case he has any illnesses you don't want spread. Cockatiels are great little birds, very social and generally love their scritches. Of course they are dusty but you obviously have no issue with dust if you have a cag lol!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think if you have the resources and the willingness to commit to taking care of two parrots it could be a very rewarding experience for you and them.

You'd also be making a great difference for Bob who's on the verge of losing his home and who's future is uncertain. Of course they would both need to be in their own separate cage and once quarantine would be over any outside of cage activity that involved both of them together would have to be strictly supervised because of the very obvious beak size difference. Ideally when they are out, I'd recommend separate rooms for everybirdie's safety. There will also be a little bit more dust to deal with too because both are dusty birds.

I truly love the fact that my parrots have each other for company during the day and I'm very certain it helps them to miss us less when we are out.

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Bob certainly is a cutie. :heart: At least you are (considering) giving one of the many Cockatiels who need homes, a home, so IF you did, you couldn’t have made a better choice.

My worry would be, what if the Cockatiel lands on your AG cage and not the other way around? I wouldn’t have them out together, especially due to the size difference, but if you are able to give them separate out of cage times, that will work better. Cockatiels, like any other bird, need a varied diet, lots of fresh veggies, sprouts, grains, legumes, etc, birdie bread, and millet is a big favorite as a treat. A variety of different toys, plenty of shredding toys, and toys they can chew.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Good taste. I had seen Bob and also have pangs to adopt but am resisting. Best wishes

Last edited:

ja-nee

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
John
Neka flew onto Landons' cage while he was out on it. Landon (GCC) went right up to her on his tippy toes beak open. I was right there and got my hand in between them. Neka had her beak open but it looked more like defense rather than aggression. Size is always a consideration, but it depends on the aggresive behaviour of each bird.
Landon chose the bird room with the 2 greys (he started plucking in the other birdroom and stopped as soon as he was moved back to the grey birdroom). They are never out together unless I am in the room.
Neka and Sam (both greys, Neka 1yr 3 months and Sam @ 7yrs) hang out in the same room and tend to beak at each other if they end up close to each other. But kinda just ignore each other when they are out of their cages. Sam is an excellent at flying, Neka not as good.
Sorry, kind of a longwinded way of saying you don't know until you get them together.

AJ&Ellie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alysha
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to sleep on it and talk to them tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it! I've emailed back and forth with them a bit, and they say that Bob steps up, whistles, and gives kisses. He also apparently hisses at people he doesn't like but doesn't bite hard. His cage is 24 x 20 x 30. I'm already thinking of upgrading to a flight cage, but I'm guessing it would be best to let him settle in first before making any big changes.

For those of you who have your parrots out of their cages in separate rooms, do you feel comfortable only being able to supervise one bird at a time? I live in a 2-bedroom condo, and I spend most of my time in the living room where Ellie's cage is. Pretty much any time Ellie is out, I'm with her. I don't think she'd get into much trouble on her own, but you never know!

I'm thinking I could quarantine Bob in my bedroom for the first month. My understanding of this process is that I should avoid all contact between Bob and Ellie, and wash hands and such between interactions with each bird. My condo is decent sized, but it's not like Bob would be in a separate air space. He'd have to pass through the living room when he comes in and out of the house. I would definitely be bringing him to my avian vet for a check-up soon. Would this be OK? I asked them how Bob is around other birds, and they said they didn't know. So taking into account his age and him not being around other birds, hopefully it's not likely that he has a contagious illness.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to sleep on it and talk to them tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it! I've emailed back and forth with them a bit, and they say that Bob steps up, whistles, and gives kisses. He also apparently hisses at people he doesn't like but doesn't bite hard. His cage is 24 x 20 x 30. I'm already thinking of upgrading to a flight cage, but I'm guessing it would be best to let him settle in first before making any big changes.

For those of you who have your parrots out of their cages in separate rooms, do you feel comfortable only being able to supervise one bird at a time? I live in a 2-bedroom condo, and I spend most of my time in the living room where Ellie's cage is. Pretty much any time Ellie is out, I'm with her. I don't think she'd get into much trouble on her own, but you never know!

I'm thinking I could quarantine Bob in my bedroom for the first month. My understanding of this process is that I should avoid all contact between Bob and Ellie, and wash hands and such between interactions with each bird. My condo is decent sized, but it's not like Bob would be in a separate air space. He'd have to pass through the living room when he comes in and out of the house. I would definitely be bringing him to my avian vet for a check-up soon. Would this be OK? I asked them how Bob is around other birds, and they said they didn't know. So taking into account his age and him not being around other birds, hopefully it's not likely that he has a contagious illness.
Im so excited. I hope it works out for you and Bob. I also just wanted to add that some people on this forum have also recommended you change clothes in between handling birds, but that may have to do with the extent of contact. You might want to research that a little more. Good luck!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, quarantine the way you say would be ok....you just have to beware of the tiel around the cag..of course the cag is much larger and could kill the tiel in a flash...as long as you are aware of the dangers,, I say GO GET HIM

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bob is beautiful! His cage on the other hand.... Im with my Anne,....go get him!:D

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Bob looks beautiful! I personally don't think it's a problem, having two
different sized birds at the same time. If you follow the necessary safety
precautions there should be no problem. I've had large birds and small
birds at the same time before and it worked out fine.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Bob looks beautiful! I personally don't think it's a problem, having two
different sized birds at the same time. If you follow the necessary safety
precautions there should be no problem. I've had large birds and small
birds at the same time before and it worked out fine.
Didn't you lose/have injured budgies because you had a sun conure as well as them? :huh: I'd be careful with two differently sized birds, we have had members lose their fids because of it. If you're going to go that route, I'd find a way to house them in different places or put up a divider like Chandra did. That keeps everyone safe. :)

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
It all depends on the birds in question, and though you certainly do need to be careful with different-sized species, the level of vigilance/precaution necessary will vary. Cockatiels are gentle and non-aggressive for the most part, so Bob is not likely to go instigating and annoying your grey as a parrotlet or lovebird would be likely to do. Still, I've heard that some greys really dislike other birds and are prone to attacking them regardless, so if that is the case with yours I'd make sure Bob can't land on his cage and get his toes bitten.

My big guy (galah) and my littles (tiels) don't mind each other, but I hardly ever have them out together. It's a headache. Boris is a very active troublemaker and needs constant supervision, but I feel comfortable leaving the tiels unsupervised. They've never caused much trouble.

parsley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Terri
Wow! Lucky weekend for CL birds!! Good for you and Bob!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have two birds that must be kept apart (caique and maroon belly conure). However, I do not have any issues with it. I do have both birds out at the same time and generally with me, but always separate. For instance, if I am making dinner, one bird is playing on the counter, the other sitting on the faucet, my shoulder, or the island. When getting ready for work/bed, one bird is on a boing hanging on the shower door, another playing on the counter. They have separate cages that they eat dinner on top of in the kitchen area. If I am watching TV/on the laptop, one is on my shoulder, the other perched on my knee. I never leave them unsupervised together and keeping them separate has become a matter of habit. The reward is that I have no doubt that having another bird around (their cages are in the same room) when I am gone brings comfort to both of them.

AJ&Ellie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alysha
Well, I never heard back from Bob's owners, so it doesn't look like I'll be adding to the family after all. I'm bummed, but hopefully they found him a great home.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, I never heard back from Bob's owners, so it doesn't look like I'll be adding to the family after all. I'm bummed, but hopefully they found him a great home.
Well, hopefully they did. I know you must be disappointed. When the stars line up it will all work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.