• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Citrine....

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Back from the vet. I guess I got the best possible answer (other than a miraculous 'hes not dead, we can still save him').
- Nothing contagious or toxic, so the rest of the flock is safe
- Weight was normal, so I didn't forget to feed him
- He had a 'blood filled sac' (tumor) filling up all the space in his abdomen. The only way he could have been saved is if we brought him in and they used a needle to drain the fluid, but she said that wouldn't have been her first impulse. He felt a little swollen, but being a male bird she wouldn't have necessarily assumed a tumor.

I know he was strong and lively as of Tuesday night. He was eating millet on my finger and his grip was as tight as always.

Looking back, I think I did miss some signs on Wednesday.. when I saw him investigating the bottom of the cage, he was walking - not hopping. That's not his usual method of navigation, so I could have checked on him then and gotten him in to the vet.. but I don't know if that would have saved him.
He was always a greedy eater too. His whole life, he inhaled millet like a desperate addict - yet Cypress was the one who got pudgy. I could have taken that as a clue.. this might have been developing for a long long time..

I never worried about him as much as Cypress.. I thought he was my strong one.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad you got some answers, and it sounds like even if you did bring him in, they might not of known to treat it in time. Please don’t beat yourself up, any birdie would be lucky to be in your care, and I’m sure he knew he was loved.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was your strong one, but not much beats a tumor. I’m glad that you can breathe easier about any contagion, and I was sure you were not so distracted as to stop feeding your boys!

Sending more hugs and prayers for you and your flock!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Glad you got some answers.

Sounds like you’re still looking to blame yourself :(

Seriously, unless you were some unnaturally observant wizard I really don’t believe the few very small clues you may have been able to pick up on would have been enough to make a difference.
Its likely that even having a vet check done for the few small tiny differences two days before his passing would have had the vet simply tell you to go home and just observe and return if anything significant changed. Even just going on what the vet said to you I don’t think they would have diagnosed soon enough to treat.

:bighug:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you guys for being so supportive.
I do feel better knowing it wasn't something I could have prevented..
Now I just miss him :(
He was the only one of my boys I ever got to hold, because he would actually fly over and land on my finger. Cypress is too shy, Oggie is too prone to biting, and we know how Opie feels about me.
I feel like I took him for granted because he didn't need as much special handling. He was such a good boy.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am really sorry to hear this... These little creatures can create such big holes in our hearts! But please don't be harsh on yourself, I agree with Sparkles99, there are lots of factors.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Truly sorry for your loss.