• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chubs Update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I told Kirby we are going to have to go out and get a hand mirror so that I can use it to check the nest. the nest is up high enough I can't see into it as well since they added the extra bedding. I have been relying on holding the digital camera above the nest to take a pix to see what is going on.

And Chubs is trying to eat some moss....grrr and one of the adults had to go over and take it away from him. Poor hungry baby :(...and too stubborn to go down to the food plate.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That last pic is a great comparison of the faces, Susanne.:highfive:
Good job Chubs, be a big boy, it's time to grow up!:dancing:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Chubs was caught in the act...:lol:And look at that grubby looking chest in the last pix. That shows that he was down eating at the fruit plate. He STILL will beg though if he can find a sympathetic adult:rolleyes:
-----------------------------

Thanks Carole, but I think he will try to beg as long as they will respond to it. I was inside and heard one of the BN calling and thought 'Geez, it sounds like Gryphon' it was that loud. It was Chubs!

I'm doing some weekly head shots of Chubs to later do a collage that shows the changes in the face and at what ages. I am curious as to when his nape patch will start to darken. And I wonder if the feather color deepens due to hormones or if it is molted out.

Did you notice how he looked grumpy for the head shot? I think he hates the camera...poor baby.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How can he look grumpy?:hehe: It isn't like he can frown or scowl or anything... His beak opening is a permanent straight line:lol: Good thing he's not a dolphin, you might think he was always happy:rofl:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I am soooo cracking up!!

Chubs really is a one of a kind, and that is a perfect name for him......well he really named himself :)

Glad he is eating a bit on his own and paying attention on what to eat a bit better now.:lol:

Fingers crossed for the eggs to hatch!:dance5:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
:lol:He is bad. He will watch as the adults eat, and when he knows they have food in their crop when they are on the nest he will go begging. I told Kirby, if there was several babies they would beg and starve the parents...

Kirby says his face reminds of emblems on the Cardinals football hemets.

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Your right, the features very much look like the Cardinal on the football teams helmet.

Chubs is gonna be one heck of a boy friend to some chickie. :rofl:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
lol i got budgies and tiels like that they will be sitting on the food bowl crying for their parents to feed them lol

or they'll be eating see their parents and start crying for them to feed them :rofl:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Chubs is real bad! He will just perch up high, and now when I change the food and he see a plate full of fruit he will start his mourful crying, and looking down at the bowl waiting for someone to go down to eat and then feed him.

They are trying to wean him, and a couple nights ago I happen to glance out and saw some feathers flying in the cage. I watched as he bit an adult on the rump and pulled out a mouthful of feathers, and was trying to eat them!...Bad bird.

I put apples and greens thru the cage bars at the perch he will sometimes sit near. he nibbles on it, so he knows how to eat, but he just does not want to wean if he can help it.

He also knows how to poop on his own, but he will still lift his tail in the air waiting for someone to empty him...yuk.

He is just spoiled, and demanding. It must be a blue-naped thing. I've let the white-backed mousers wean out babies and none of their babies acted like that. Most fledglings are glad to learn to eat on their own.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
ok i am going to regret asking this, but now my curiosity is perked

Whatcha mean by this
He also knows how to poop on his own, but he will still lift his tail in the air waiting for someone to empty him...yuk.
As in they don't just wiggle their butts back up and poop like the other birds do????

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Below is an illus I done up.

If the parents don't do it the babies can have problems digesting and get impacted.

On the plus side there is never a dirty nest to look after or clean.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ummmm...been there done that. No more mousebird poop for me thank you very much...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Well the little brat was caught in the act:lol: He went down to the food dish, grabbed a grape, and ran off with it. Later I caught him with his face in the pellet bowl eating. Still...the little brat will beg to be fed if he can get by with it.

If you look at the back of his head he is actually starting a molt, and the darker torquoise feathers are starting to come in. He also has to molt in the olive color to his rump.

And there is another baby in the nest:heart:Please be a little girl. There are more fertile eggs.

I almost lost all the eggs :( A few nights ago I went to check the birds at 2 AM, and there were a couple of tiel babies flapping around on the mousebirds side of the patio. When I fed them several hours earlier I must've forgot to fully close their cage door. I caught them and checked the paniced BN and they were off the eggs and they were ice cold, meaning they were off them for awhile. I keep an incubator on 24/7 for emergencies. I put the eggs in there and thankfully they still looked good. Of the 5, 1 looked infertile, 3 developing nicely, and one getting into the piping position. The parents would go sit in the nest looking depressed, so I went and brought out 3 eggs...the one closest to hatch, a developing one, and the infertile one. Showed them the eggs, and put them in the nest. What happy mousers, and they went and covered them. I'll add the other 2 eggs to the nest when they get closer to hatch....Whew!

That was only part of that awful night. Raccoons outside terriizing the tiels outside, that's another story :(

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Chubs is certainly a character! lol

I guess only the strongest babies will hatch, mother nature making sure of that.

That wee one is sooo cute already!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Kristy, after seeing Chubs with that grape...which is the size of a new hatchling, I have been really keeping an eye on him. I hope during his weaning stage he does not think it is food :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He wouldn't do that. I have faith in Chubs.:angel5:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How is little 'grape' today?:D

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Chubs wouldn't hurt the wee one would he???

Ohhh I sure hope not!!
He is hopefully just a bratty little baby boy. lol

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The little grape eater is doing fine. He polished off the pellets in the bowl and I just added more.

I see the new hatchling is still in the nest...YAY! I'm hoping the next egg hatches soon so that I can add the other 2 fertile eggs.

It will be interesting to see the changes in Chubs over the next few weeks. I'm going to have to wait till he is sitting still to get another headshot. The black edging is starting to come in on his beak. He won't get the red until a few months from now. His eyes are still dark, so it'll be interesting to see when the color starts to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.